Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Remote Desktop on Monterey

I'm currently unable to use ARD on Macs running Monterey. ARD seems to connect, I can see the cursor, but the screen is black.

I've tried this on a number of Macs, both M1 and Intel and come across the same issue. I'm running the latest version of ARD and can confirm that other people in my team are experiencing the same issues.

Has anyone else encountered this, any resolutions?

Thanks!

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 3:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 1:56 AM

Thanks Silkosis, I'll give that a go :)

I found that if you manage macs via MDM (Jamf etc), you need to send a remote command to set remote desktop to 'enabled' - the command will seem to fail but resolves the issue. After sending this to a few different macs it works without fail.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2022 1:56 AM in response to Sikosis

Thanks Silkosis, I'll give that a go :)

I found that if you manage macs via MDM (Jamf etc), you need to send a remote command to set remote desktop to 'enabled' - the command will seem to fail but resolves the issue. After sending this to a few different macs it works without fail.

Feb 17, 2022 1:09 AM in response to Sikosis

Hey all,

If you're looking to send the command via Jamf you'll need to do it from a Smart Group or Static Group. Create a group then:

• Select a Group > View (bottom right) > Action (bottom right)
  • Send Remote Commands
  • Set Remote Desktop > Enable > Next

This will say it's failed, but if you check the logs of a mac in the group, you'll likely see it's succeeded.

Since this is affecting Monterey macs, you could create a Smart Group that pulls any machine that's running macOS 12+ and periodically run it. Though, I'm sure there's a much smarter way of automating a solution, something to look into.

This site has a lot of great information regarding this issue, I'd recommend having a read through: https://macops.ca/managing-screen-sharing-in-monterey-12.1/

Feb 16, 2022 2:15 PM in response to mw-

I don't have an enable remote desktop, only the disable in JAMF. When I click that, it says "Command Sent" but nothing changes. When I refresh the page, it still says "Disable Remote Desktop".

Someone on Reddit said using this command worked for them, but alas nothing for me. Also, not sure why the post above was marked as solved, as it's not solved for me.

sudo tccutil reset ScreenCapture

Apple Remote Desktop on Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.