Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to avoid using "cloudstorage"-folder

Hi

I am using OneDrive on my MacBook Pro from december 2021. I am using an external SSD-disc for my OneDrive/Sharepoint files which I share with others. My files are on a disc as the data is 2TB and my Mac only has 1TB HDD.

Now all of a sudden my files on the external SSD-disc have vanished, and instead I have only a reference to the new location, which is users/mie/library/CloudStorage/OneDrive-SGArmaturenAS.

How can I avoid using the "Cloudstorage"-folder and move my files to the external SSD-disc again?

IOS: Monterey 12.2

I have removed and re-installed OneDrive a number of time using "Delete app" with the same result. When I choose the external SSD-disc (or any other place) for my files, I end up with a reference and my files in the "CloudStorage"-folder.

I download OneDrive from Microsofts homepage.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 5:55 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jan 27, 2022 8:48 AM in response to mie289

mie289 wrote:

Hi
I am using OneDrive on my MacBook Pro from december 2021. I am using an external SSD-disc for my OneDrive/Sharepoint files which I share with others. My files are on a disc as the data is 2TB and my Mac only has 1TB HDD.
Now all of a sudden my files on the external SSD-disc have vanished, and instead I have only a reference to the new location, which is users/mie/library/CloudStorage/OneDrive-SGArmaturenAS.
How can I avoid using the "Cloudstorage"-folder and move my files to the external SSD-disc again?
IOS: Monterey 12.2
I have removed and re-installed OneDrive a number of time using "Delete app" with the same result. When I choose the external SSD-disc (or any other place) for my files, I end up with a reference and my files in the "CloudStorage"-folder.
I download OneDrive from Microsofts homepage.

OneDrive is third party— I would advise

if in doubt refer to the developers website; Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility

OneDrive help & learning - Microsoft Support

Microsoft Corporation/Customer service

1 (800) 642-7676

or

https://support.microsoft.com

Mar 10, 2022 5:53 PM in response to mie289

For options:

1 - revert to an earlier version of OneDrive and do your best to prevent it from getting updated so you never have to deal with this issue. That is, until they stop supporting whatever macOS release you happen to be running.

2 - Perform an uninstall and reinstall of the latest OneDrive app and be sure to select the external drive option as described in the link below. The external drive option means that the OneDrive files will be symbolically linked from the external drive (there the files will actually be stored when downloaded) to the SSD's MacHD/Users/[name]/Library/CloudStorage folder.

Symbolic linking means that CloudStorage folder on the SSD doesn't contain the "real" files. It's just a pointer to where the files actually "live."

3a - stop using OneDrive and use a cloud alternative that supports external drives

3b - host your own cloud using a commercial or home built NAS to run OwnCloud or any number of open-source, performant options at home and skip the public cloud services all together.

This is the Microsoft Community Post I was referring to (dated Jan 12 2022).

How to avoid using "cloudstorage"-folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.