Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If there is no such password for Firmware than why is it requesting for it in Administrator Password Login Reset Mode?

I have no such Firmware Password set to my understanding that that solution is a memorized misnomer as an inverted upside down effort

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 11:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 11:35 AM

Please refer to this excerpt from If your Mac doesn't start up all the way - Apple Support:

"If your Mac is using a firmware password, the lock icon appears when you try to start up from another disk or volume, such as an external drive or macOS Recovery. Enter the firmware password to continue."

4 replies

Jan 28, 2022 6:57 PM in response to Bobbaluiah

Unfortunately anyone with physical access to the Mac could have set a firmware password (especially anyone with access to an admin password). A firmware lock can be activated if FindMy triggers the laptop to become disabled. It is also possible that a bit flipped in the firmware which makes the Mac think a firmware lock is enabled. If you acquired the Mac from someone else, then it is likely the previous owner enabled the firmware lock. It really does not matter since @John Galt has already provided you with the only options to remove the firmware lock. If you don't know the firmware password, then you will need to take the Mac to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider along with valid proof of purchase and ID so Apple or the AASP can remove the firmware lock. Otherwise you will need to live with the crippled nature of the Mac and hope it continues to boot normally.

Jan 28, 2022 9:19 PM in response to HWTech

Very true and easily as time flies out the window without letting anyone in on the secret answers of any of these things that are too oft just human frailty and an illegible piece of scrap paper blown by either the breadth of time or my morning breath of stench and that makes it just God awful for making good on what I once knew every once in a great while

If there is no such password for Firmware than why is it requesting for it in Administrator Password Login Reset Mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.