Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot get past the opening password screen on a macbook air.

I was delivered a Macbook air today and found that upon booting it up for the first time there was another account already on the computer that had not been removed. I cannot get past the password screen, because I do not know the previous owner's password, obviously. I recently ordered the computer through my university's online bookstore and had it delivered to my home. The item was not labeled as refurbished when I purchased it, so naturally, I assumed it was going to be new. Is there a way to get around this password issue? If not, what do I do?

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 4:23 PM

If you can, return that Mac for a refund.

If that is not an option, erase it so that you can reconfigure it as your own: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac should have been performed by its previous owner. The only step available to you as its new owner is Step 8, "Follow the steps to erase your Mac and reinstall macOS."

If you are unable to start your Mac in Recovery Mode as it states, then may have been protected by its previous owner either though a Firmware Password or Activation Lock. There is no way to circumvent either one, which is the reason for my initial recommendation: return it for a refund. It should not have been sold in that condition.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2022 4:23 PM in response to ajsmith7352

If you can, return that Mac for a refund.

If that is not an option, erase it so that you can reconfigure it as your own: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac should have been performed by its previous owner. The only step available to you as its new owner is Step 8, "Follow the steps to erase your Mac and reinstall macOS."

If you are unable to start your Mac in Recovery Mode as it states, then may have been protected by its previous owner either though a Firmware Password or Activation Lock. There is no way to circumvent either one, which is the reason for my initial recommendation: return it for a refund. It should not have been sold in that condition.

Cannot get past the opening password screen on a macbook air.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.