Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac os 11.6.3 keeps resetting the display resolution from 2560 x 1600 to 1920 x 1200.

Anyone know what this is all about? I am using Mac Mini M1 with Dell 3008 WFP monitor. I actually have two of these and it it does it with both. Can only use one at a time though as cannot find a way to get these both working at the same time. Connection is via thunderbolt to DP

Mac mini, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 5:07 PM

The M1 Silicone Mac Mini only supports one display from a USB-C port and one display from the HDMI port.

see > https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-mini/connect-a-display-apd8e4fbbb97/mac

Connect one Dell 3008WFP up to one of the Mac Mini's USB-C ports using a USB-C to DisplayPort cable.

(the Dell supplied cable, may need to be replaced with a better quality USB-C to DisplayPort cable)

Connect the second Dell 3008WFP up to the Mac Mini's HDMI port using a premium certified HDMI cable.

(the Dell supplied HDMI cable, may also need to be replaced by a quality premium certified HDMI cable)

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2022 5:07 PM in response to amadillo

The M1 Silicone Mac Mini only supports one display from a USB-C port and one display from the HDMI port.

see > https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-mini/connect-a-display-apd8e4fbbb97/mac

Connect one Dell 3008WFP up to one of the Mac Mini's USB-C ports using a USB-C to DisplayPort cable.

(the Dell supplied cable, may need to be replaced with a better quality USB-C to DisplayPort cable)

Connect the second Dell 3008WFP up to the Mac Mini's HDMI port using a premium certified HDMI cable.

(the Dell supplied HDMI cable, may also need to be replaced by a quality premium certified HDMI cable)

Jan 27, 2022 5:25 PM in response to den.thed

Thanks for the info on the cables etc, I am aware of this but still struggling to find a cable that works from HDMI out side of things.

Cables aside, the resolution issue is more my issue right now. When I start using the Mac mini in the morning I have 2560 x 1600. After the OS switches to screen saver after 20 mins the resolution switches to 1920 x 1200..... This has me stumped

Jan 27, 2022 7:13 PM in response to den.thed

Noted about the cheap cables comment, I paid $40 for the cable but not sure what price you think it should be.

I will continue to explore the HDMI cables but the last one I got was $70 but this terminated in DP and I believe I can only have one DP connection at a time on the new M1 chip.

I don't believe the old Dell monitor will allow HDMI 2.0 so the resolution I am after would appear to be unavailable via HDMI.

The monitor does have DVI-D capability which I thought might give me some options but still exploring this as well

mac os 11.6.3 keeps resetting the display resolution from 2560 x 1600 to 1920 x 1200.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.