Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Persistent Internet Account Entry in Keychain

This is a peculiar recurring issue that I have been experiencing for several years now. Whenever I re-format my MacBook Air and perform a clean install of macOS, an old work internet account (Google Apps) keeps getting added to my list of internet accounts. I have no reference of any Google account in my Keychain, and I have tried several methods to reset my Keychain, without any luck.

The above image is from a brand new installation of macOS Big Sur v11.6.3. Other devices linked to the same Apple ID, all running iOS 15.3:

• iPhone 12
  • iPhone XR
  • Apple TV
  • HomePod

There is also a 6th generation Apple Watch running watchOS 8.3, paired with the iPhone 12, and an iPad linked to my child's Apple ID, which is managed by me under Family. There are no other linked devices to this account.

My question is: Is there a reliable method of completely purging my iCloud Keychain for my account and starting with a fresh Keychain, or something else that would otherwise resolve this problem?

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 4:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 10:33 PM

In your case if second Apple ID would be there say example2@icloud.com it would be shown here in internet account ( in case if its not deleted by clicking on subtract sign ) , but when new Mac is set up definitely system preferences , Internet accounts will appear essential an Apple ID is signed in .

You deleted an old Apple ID say it was example1@gmail.com from the server , to set up gmail account a user name its password , its secondary mail address , date of birth .....in gmail account is required , see the link https://support.google.com/mail/answer/56256?hl=en

In it is mentioned the same user name that was previously used can't be repeated ( google doesn't know you are the same person that is creating the same account ) .

It depends what credentials of the old account you remember .

In internet accounts , click on inactive account , check mark the mail box .

A pop up appears click on open safari .

The account is permanently erased and can't be recovered .

But , in your case I can't see any Apple ID like example2@icloud.com or what services you use , in Mac system preferences > Apple ID is there any Apple ID signed in , or you are in process of setting up new Mac as per apple article , do other iPhone , iPad / other Mac still synced with the account ?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2022 10:33 PM in response to fouadhatem

In your case if second Apple ID would be there say example2@icloud.com it would be shown here in internet account ( in case if its not deleted by clicking on subtract sign ) , but when new Mac is set up definitely system preferences , Internet accounts will appear essential an Apple ID is signed in .

You deleted an old Apple ID say it was example1@gmail.com from the server , to set up gmail account a user name its password , its secondary mail address , date of birth .....in gmail account is required , see the link https://support.google.com/mail/answer/56256?hl=en

In it is mentioned the same user name that was previously used can't be repeated ( google doesn't know you are the same person that is creating the same account ) .

It depends what credentials of the old account you remember .

In internet accounts , click on inactive account , check mark the mail box .

A pop up appears click on open safari .

The account is permanently erased and can't be recovered .

But , in your case I can't see any Apple ID like example2@icloud.com or what services you use , in Mac system preferences > Apple ID is there any Apple ID signed in , or you are in process of setting up new Mac as per apple article , do other iPhone , iPad / other Mac still synced with the account ?

Jan 28, 2022 7:48 AM in response to fouadhatem

You have erased the google account say example1@gmail.com from their server , that's the reason its showing inactive in internet accounts , however it was an apple id that was signed from Mac system preferences , but the Apple ID is still active on iCloud servers , when new Mac is purchased , you used the same Apple ID and password to sign in the iCloud Keychain won't be set up , as primary mail account is erased from the server , that has to be first recovered .

See some articles Set up your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

Set up iCloud Keychain and iCloud Passwords on all your devices - Apple Support

And a thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252994290

Note : if you contact apple support , don't delete the account from the iCloud servers , as if it's being erased the account can't never be recovered ( after 30 days account is permanently erased ) How to delete your Apple ID account - Apple Support

Feb 3, 2022 10:03 AM in response to tygb

Okay I think I found something new that I wasn't aware of before. I went into the Keychain utility one last time to see if I can find any reference to it, and then I learned that the utility has some hidden items there. If I click on 'View' and then 'Show Invisible Items' in Keychain Access app, then I am able to see a single reference to that account listed. Double clicking on it shows me this:

So now I know that it was hiding in my Keychain under invisible, now I have a different problem. Every time I try to delete that entry, it reappears after a few seconds. I think there was a way to kill it using Terminal but I can't figure out how to do it. Does this info help?

Jan 28, 2022 8:48 PM in response to tygb

Thank you for your quick reply @tybg.

It is clear to me that you know exactly what is happening with me in this case. However, I am having trouble understanding the steps that I need to take to resolve this. Are you saying that there is a second Apple ID involved somewhere and that it is linked to mine? What is it that I need to recover first? Do I need to get in touch with my old company to resolve this? I would be grateful if you can provide me with a list of steps that I need to follow in a specific order to resolve this issue.

Feb 3, 2022 2:16 AM in response to tygb

I only have one Apple ID which I used on all my devices and it has been this way for several years now. No other Apple IDs are signed in anywhere else on my devices.

I am having a hard time understanding the relationship between an old work account (which is provided by Google Business Apps) and my personal Apple account. Yes, I used this particular machine previously for work purposes and I had other accounts on there as well and remove those and they never reappeared. I also changed my Apple ID password several times over the years, yet this thing still shows up. I know that it doesn't live on my devices because those were either traded-in or formatted several times over the years. I know that it lives somewhere in iCloud.

So, are you saying that if I am able to get access back into that Google account, I should sign-in, then sign out of it and then remove it, and this would prevent it from appearing again?

Feb 3, 2022 3:08 AM in response to fouadhatem

When Mac OS is installed in between process it asks for your old Apple ID address say example1@gmail.com once the gmail account is erased permanently from the server the same Apple ID can never be used to sign in activity .

Sign out / sign in has nothing to do with it , it will not help , even you set new admin account .

Initially what I thought the account can be recovered , I had deleted an old account that what is in screen shot , there is time limit of 90 days to recover the account , after the time limit it can never be recovered , in the same way it applies to your Mac .

You are using an Apple ID that is signed in Mac system preferences , so just use it but forgot about erased account from the server .

Persistent Internet Account Entry in Keychain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.