Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is about MacBookPro11,4?

I cannot find my MacBookPro 11,4 for EFI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Mac computers

(on Page https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201518).

How can I update my firmware manually before the installation of Monterey?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 7:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 7:26 AM

Manual update of firmware in this case (2015 MacBook Pro 15-in) is not needed.

In recent versions of MacOS any required firmware updates are incorporated, and will be done at the beginning of the update process, automatically.

5 replies

Jan 28, 2022 7:31 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Unfortunately, the installation of the required firmware fails during the installation of Monterey. That is why I'm searching for an alternative way.

Here is the error message I got:

"A required firmware update could not be installed. Compatible internal storage is required in order to update".

Hint: I have replaced the original 500 GB HD by a greater 1 TB over my local Apple Distributor.

Jan 28, 2022 7:40 AM in response to Schneider-Trihow

<< Compatible internal storage is required in order to update >>

Obtaining the manual firmware update will not solve this problem.

You need to do what it says -- install a compatible [genuine Apple] internal drive, and run the software update.

NOTE: it is the firmware Installer that is stored temporarily on the compatible drive. The firmware itself is updated into a private store on the processor card, and is not permanently stored on ANY drive.

so go back to the source of the update card, or to eBay, and obtain a working Apple original SSD for your computer.

Run the software update to the version you desire. The firmware update will be installed in that process.

Swap back to your old drive, and the firmware update will no longer be required (already installed).

Perform the software update (on your long-term drive) to the version you desire.

What is about MacBookPro11,4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.