Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

firmware update on Mac Pro 2013-2019

updating to Monterey and my hard disk is not compatible for the firmware update. How do I update

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 2:45 PM

Sounds like you do not have an Apple SSD in your 2013/Trash Cam Mac.

AN Apple drive is required internally to upgrade to Monterey since the Monterey installer includes an update to the Mac's firmware and to do that it has to write some info on the SSD so it can read it during reboot and upgrade firmware. One you upgrade with Apple SSD you can but not-Apple SSD inside and upgrade to Monterey.

In the past if you did not have an Apple SSD installed and the upgrade installer included a firmware update the upgrade would be complete but not the firmware update.

In one case I think the user reinstalled the Apple SSD but still got error about firmware and in that case he had to step through the different macOS upgrades to get the firmware updated so that the Monterey could be installed.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2022 2:45 PM in response to asg93

Sounds like you do not have an Apple SSD in your 2013/Trash Cam Mac.

AN Apple drive is required internally to upgrade to Monterey since the Monterey installer includes an update to the Mac's firmware and to do that it has to write some info on the SSD so it can read it during reboot and upgrade firmware. One you upgrade with Apple SSD you can but not-Apple SSD inside and upgrade to Monterey.

In the past if you did not have an Apple SSD installed and the upgrade installer included a firmware update the upgrade would be complete but not the firmware update.

In one case I think the user reinstalled the Apple SSD but still got error about firmware and in that case he had to step through the different macOS upgrades to get the firmware updated so that the Monterey could be installed.

firmware update on Mac Pro 2013-2019

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.