Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

STOP OneDrive from syncing (recognizing) local AND external drive

Hello & thanks for the help in advance,

Sigh. I have installed the latest version of OneDrive on a new 2021 MacBook Pro (Monterey 12.2), and cannot STOP the application from syncing to my local HD.

Or am I

Upon setup, I formatted and chose (choose folder) an external drive without issue. That said, the application is syncing BOTH my local AND external drive simultaneously. I do not want OneDrive to sync locally yet there is not way to get rid of the local identity. Or is there?

Or is the *Cloud OneDrive the Sharepoint cloud location and I'm good?

Any help would be much appreciated.

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 8:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 12:48 PM

Normally, when syncing with OneDrive, the installation of the OneDrive sync app creates a folder on your Mac. Any files placed in this folder is what gets synced. In order to install this app, a Mac has to be running macOS Mojave or later.

To make sure we are using a similar OneDrive configuration, how do you have your Mac configured to sync with OneDrive:

• By using the OneDrive app that was downloaded from the Apple App Store?
  • By using the OneDrive app that was downloaded from Microsoft?
  • Via some other method?
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2022 12:48 PM in response to franklinfromspringfield

Normally, when syncing with OneDrive, the installation of the OneDrive sync app creates a folder on your Mac. Any files placed in this folder is what gets synced. In order to install this app, a Mac has to be running macOS Mojave or later.

To make sure we are using a similar OneDrive configuration, how do you have your Mac configured to sync with OneDrive:

• By using the OneDrive app that was downloaded from the Apple App Store?
  • By using the OneDrive app that was downloaded from Microsoft?
  • Via some other method?

Jan 28, 2022 9:14 AM in response to Tesserax

I haven't. I believe that I may be misunderstanding what I'm seeing (solution seeking a problem). I think the *Cloud OneDrive is simply a mirror of the files that are syncing to my external drive.

Thank you for responding!

Addendum: Just checked my Macintosh HD and inside the 'User' folder there is a OneDrive folder with the identical content and file structure. So it is actually saving in both places. When I open a file from the external drive i.e. Indesign (On-Demand) both sync.

Hmmmmm...

Jan 28, 2022 9:10 AM in response to franklinfromspringfield

When I get a chance I will check this out with a few of my Macs. I have a Microsoft 365 subscription and use OneDrive. However, I have elected to use the option to store any 365-related documents locally and not to OneDrive ... except those files that are automatically synced. AFAIK, none of my Mac's local drives are being synced to OneDrive ... but, let me get a chance to verify that.

Jan 28, 2022 7:20 PM in response to Tesserax

Tesserax wrote:

• Normally, when syncing with OneDrive, the installation of the OneDrive sync app creates a folder on your Mac. Any files placed in this folder is what gets synced. In order to install this app, a Mac has to be running macOS Mojave or later.

By using the OneDrive app that was downloaded from the Apple App Store?
By using the OneDrive app that was downloaded from Microsoft• ?
• Via some other method?

I appreciate your feedback and help! Thank you for your time.

Franklin

STOP OneDrive from syncing (recognizing) local AND external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.