Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Encryption

If I lose my laptop but have my Time Machine encrypted backup can I just open it on another Mac without the machine password ?

Like if my Mac password is: happycat and my encryption password is: greenvalley, do I need both password to open the backup ?

Or just the encryption password (greenvalley) ?

What do I need to access and open the encrypted backup ?

Thanks!

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 6:30 PM

I use encryption for my Time Machine volume(s). You should be able to mount the Time Machine volume using just the encryption password. Once mounted, try to access the files you need with Finder. Recovery using Time Machine or Migration Assistant may prompt you for admin credentials on the (other) Mac.

- Pie Lover

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2022 6:30 PM in response to KrazyCat

I use encryption for my Time Machine volume(s). You should be able to mount the Time Machine volume using just the encryption password. Once mounted, try to access the files you need with Finder. Recovery using Time Machine or Migration Assistant may prompt you for admin credentials on the (other) Mac.

- Pie Lover

Time Machine Encryption

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.