Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I remove a file association? - I need it to be neutral again

I was trying to run a vbs file in Adobe Indesign (yes, it's an old process) but I needed to edit the path in the script so I opened it with TextEdit and foolishly ticked the box to open all such file types with TextEdit. Now all vbs files are designated as TextEdit files and Indesign doesn't recognise it as a script file.

What are my options? I've searched for answers and really what I want is to remove the default file association and make it neutral again. Though it doesn't seem possible.

Any help?

Thanks!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 11:01 AM

It out to be as simple as selecting that file, Get Info, then selecting the appropriate Open with: choice. Choose "Other..." if none of the dropdown menu selections apply.

Rather than double-clicking the script can you open it from Adobe Indesign's File menu? From what you describe though, it seems as though you tried that and Adobe refuses to recognize it as a valid script file. Perhaps Adobe requires a correct file name "extension" in its name, so inspect / correct that using Get Info.

I'm speculating though. You might need to ask on an Adobe user support site.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2022 11:01 AM in response to elainemcp

It out to be as simple as selecting that file, Get Info, then selecting the appropriate Open with: choice. Choose "Other..." if none of the dropdown menu selections apply.

Rather than double-clicking the script can you open it from Adobe Indesign's File menu? From what you describe though, it seems as though you tried that and Adobe refuses to recognize it as a valid script file. Perhaps Adobe requires a correct file name "extension" in its name, so inspect / correct that using Get Info.

I'm speculating though. You might need to ask on an Adobe user support site.

How can I remove a file association? - I need it to be neutral again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.