Removing application type from .GPX file types - no application to be associated at all, not changed to a different one

I have accidentally associated an application to the file type .GPX But I do not have any application that I use to automatically open gpx files with on my MAC. Therefore I want to choose to have no application associated with .gpx files but all the OS will let me do is choose one. So everytime I try to download a gpx file I get the error message, that I can't open the file. Well I don't want to open it! I just want to save it on my MAC. How do I remove a file association altogether rather than change it to a different one. Google shows me I can do this on Windows! I have Ventura 13.2 installed on my MacBook Pro.

Thank you

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.2

Posted on May 23, 2023 1:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2023 5:41 AM

There is no setting for none.

But your description sounds like, inside your Browser, you have checked the box that says, 'open "safe" downloaded files automatically.

Uncheck that box, and this will no longer be a problem, because downloaded files will just be placed in the downloads folder, NOT opened.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2023 5:41 AM in response to JDOxford

There is no setting for none.

But your description sounds like, inside your Browser, you have checked the box that says, 'open "safe" downloaded files automatically.

Uncheck that box, and this will no longer be a problem, because downloaded files will just be placed in the downloads folder, NOT opened.

May 23, 2023 7:47 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you, I found that setting in Chrome and it has stopped it trying to save them - fantastic! IMO it is madness that Apple doesn't let you choose 'None' though. Quite a simple thing to change you'd think. Actually I hated it when people used to tell me how easy it would be to change things or build things so I take that back. Although I still think it of course...

Removing application type from .GPX file types - no application to be associated at all, not changed to a different one

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.