Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Default application

Dear Team,

I receive .SCM extension files and wish to upload it on a server without any application program associated to it.

This will allow users to use the default application of their choice.

However, the iMac machine that I use was previously used by another colleague who accidentally associated these file types with default application as adobe acrobat reader.

My query is : how to I remove the default application for this file extension?

P.S : I do not wish to change the default application associated with the file extension. So, please do not reply saying that; click on file info and change the application.

I have seen an article https://krypted.com/mac-os-x/lsregister-associating-file-types-in-mac-os-x/

but could follow all the steps as it is not explained very well. May be I didn't understood it well.

Please help!!!

Posted on May 15, 2020 12:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2020 2:28 AM

FINAWeb1908 wrote:

I receive .SCM extension files and wish to upload it on a server without any application program associated to it.

Your motive seemed to be to "allow users to use the default application of their choice".

As I explained, a file uploaded to a server has no particular file association. About all you can do is delete the file extension.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2020 2:28 AM in response to FINAWeb1908

FINAWeb1908 wrote:

Your motive seemed to be to "allow users to use the default application of their choice".

As I explained, a file uploaded to a server has no particular file association. About all you can do is delete the file extension.

May 15, 2020 2:35 AM in response to dialabrain

I hope it does. Because few others complained of the same issue that the file uploaded on server is linked to adobe acrobat and they cant open it. hence the query on forum.

I just upload the received file as it is.

Your answer seems logical that the file is linked to local machine. So, may be once in a while few of these users did accidentally link the file to acrobat reader like my predecessor did on my current machine.

Default application

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.