Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

remove "save as adobe pdf" option when clicking open with for pdf files

hi, i have removed all adobe applications from my mac and all files in Library as well. but when i click open with for pdf files, it will show "save as adobe pdf" as an option, so is there any way to remove the option from my mac? my OS is Monterey 12.6 if that matters.

i have included an image to show what i meant.

please help me because this bothers me a lot.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 22, 2022 10:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 12:20 AM

Hi, thank you for taking the time to write and reply to my query, I have found the information given in your reply incredibly helpful.

I would like to share that how I solved my issue is by copying the following string of texts into Terminal and running it.

Thank you again.

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain user -domain local -domain system
killall Finder

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2022 12:20 AM in response to HWTech

Hi, thank you for taking the time to write and reply to my query, I have found the information given in your reply incredibly helpful.

I would like to share that how I solved my issue is by copying the following string of texts into Terminal and running it.

Thank you again.

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain user -domain local -domain system
killall Finder

Oct 23, 2022 12:56 PM in response to allw

Many Adobe products install components deep into macOS so the Adobe apps which do this require using the Adobe uninstaller app to properly & fully remove all traces of the particular Adobe product from the computer. It sounds like you attempted to manually remove these apps instead which has left some parts behind. At this point you may need to reinstall those Adobe products and use the official Adobe uninstaller option/app to fully remove the Adobe product(s). It is possible that Adobe may provide a general uninstaller, but you will need to check with Adobe for the proper method to fully remove the Adobe software from the Mac.

FYI, if an app requires running an installer app when first installing an app, then you will need to use the uninstaller option within that app to fully remove the software from the computer. Sometimes a developer will include the uninstaller as an option on one of the app's menus (usually the Help menu), or they may include the uninstaller within the product folder or app bundle located in the Applications folder. Other times the app developer may provide a special uninstaller from the developer's website. Always check with the developer on the proper method for uninstalling their apps.

If you install an app from the App Store or just by dragging & dropping the app into the Applications folder, then you can just simply move the app to the Trash (and empty the Trash) to remove it.

remove "save as adobe pdf" option when clicking open with for pdf files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.