Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hide all file extensions by default in MacOs

Hello, is there a way to stop MacOs from showing file extensions by default? There is an option in the Finder settings to hide all file extensions, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Thanks!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 5, 2022 6:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2022 10:53 AM

franzkb wrote:
Hello, is there a way to stop MacOs from showing file extensions by default? There is an option in the Finder settings to hide all file extensions, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Finder>Preferences>Advanced..... uncheck the box

Get to know the Finder on your Mac

Get to know the Finder on your Mac - Apple Support

If no insight or resolve try a safeboot to clear system cache files:

SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2022 10:53 AM in response to franzkb

franzkb wrote:
Hello, is there a way to stop MacOs from showing file extensions by default? There is an option in the Finder settings to hide all file extensions, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Finder>Preferences>Advanced..... uncheck the box

Get to know the Finder on your Mac

Get to know the Finder on your Mac - Apple Support

If no insight or resolve try a safeboot to clear system cache files:

SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

Mar 6, 2022 11:16 AM in response to franzkb

There isn't a general preference to hide all extensions. When turned off, the check box shown will only cause the OS to hide those extensions that are already hidden. Those that aren't will still display.

For instance, all applications have the .app extension hidden, and that check box is grayed out so you can't turn it off.

I actually had to look around a bit on my drive for an example of one I could turn on or off. The file name for this one in the Finder is Google Wallet. The .pdf extension is hidden due the check box being on. If I uncheck the box, then the extension will (of course) show and the name shown in the Finder would change to Google Wallet.pdf .

So anyway, as you've already discovered, the check box only forces all extensions to show. There is no option to hide all.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.