Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove System Extensions

Hello,

does Anyone know how to remove system extension in the file system? There is no way to do this in the preferences window.

Everytime I restart my Mac an log in the system warns that there are extensions that might cause problems, but when I hit the button it just opens the security pane.

I don't want to enable them, I want to remove them.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Jan 11, 2023 1:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2023 2:24 AM

Note: before removing anything, make sure that you know what you are doing.

You can remove them by restarting in Safe Mode, going to /Library/Extensions, and dragging them to the trash, then emptying the trash and restarting normally.

But applications may also install bits and pieces in other locations - launch agents and daemons each have specific places.

To make sure you are getting rid of exactly what you want to, I recommend that first you run the diagnostic program Etrecheck and post its report here, so we can see what it is that is or is not safe to delete.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2023 2:24 AM in response to asdfasdfasdf24

Note: before removing anything, make sure that you know what you are doing.

You can remove them by restarting in Safe Mode, going to /Library/Extensions, and dragging them to the trash, then emptying the trash and restarting normally.

But applications may also install bits and pieces in other locations - launch agents and daemons each have specific places.

To make sure you are getting rid of exactly what you want to, I recommend that first you run the diagnostic program Etrecheck and post its report here, so we can see what it is that is or is not safe to delete.

Remove System Extensions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.