Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Panic Reboots

My old macbook pro is shutting down almost every time I use it just surfing the interwebs. Here is the panic report. Can anyone interpret?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 1:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 2:52 PM

Yikes.

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2022 2:52 PM in response to iPadpilot

Yikes.

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Jan 28, 2022 3:05 PM in response to iPadpilot

I think you have a failing Discrete GPU chip. This is a 2011 15" MacBook Pro, and they are notorious for failing Discrete GPU chips. I own one myself.

I suggest you look at

gSwitch (macOS 10.12 or newer)

https://codyschrank.github.io/gSwitch

and disable your Discrete GPU and run on the integrated intel GPU. That is how I keep, my 2011 15" MacBook Pro in service.

MacBook Pro Panic Reboots

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.