Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Large File taking up space on Mac

I have a file, it's blockchain data, that is taking up a large portion of data on my mac. Around 150GB, maybe less maybe more. Its around that size as current. I normally download these and then move them to my external so I can run the nodes as needed......

However, for some reason. The most recent one decided to bury the Blockchain data in a place where I can't reach it. I've terminal'd my way as deep in the file system as I can go with no luck on finding the data. I've contacted support on that side and they just told me I should remove the app that put it there and the data will be removed..... which I guess is some kind of joke at this point.

I have opened up Daisydisk as a last ditch effort to see if it could locate the data and it just shows it as "Still Hidden". I'm trying to avoid a reinstall as my backup currently contains this file and it appears to contain it as far back as the middle of the month. Which would result in additional losses at the moment.

-It is not local snapshots for Time Machine, they are currently only taking up 10GB or so

-Purgeable space is only around 8GB

Might anyone have suggestions?

Mac mini, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 3:24 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jan 28, 2022 6:21 PM in response to KnightofDis

Where is the file located?

Were you able to see the file with the command line? Can you change to the same directory? If so, then did you try using "sudo" when attempting to remove the file in case the file permissions of the file and/or it's parent folders prevent you from removing it as a regular admin user?

Make sure the app you use to work on the file is not running since the app may prevent an open file from being removed.

Large File taking up space on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.