Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software Updates

I have a red dot against system preferences. When I click on System updates I just get a spinning wheel and no updates are shown.

I left it for a couple of hours but nothing changed.

I am not very techy so I need some simple help with this if possible.

Many thanks.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 12:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 6:30 AM

Restart in Safe Mode and try the Software Update applet residing in the System Preferences.

Safe mode may help you resolve or isolate problems that you’re having with your Mac.

When you start up in safe mode, your Mac prevents some software, such as startup items, from loading, and it performs a check of your startup disk. Your Mac may take longer to start up because of the check.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2022 6:30 AM in response to 26bosman

Restart in Safe Mode and try the Software Update applet residing in the System Preferences.

Safe mode may help you resolve or isolate problems that you’re having with your Mac.

When you start up in safe mode, your Mac prevents some software, such as startup items, from loading, and it performs a check of your startup disk. Your Mac may take longer to start up because of the check.

Feb 1, 2022 3:18 AM in response to 26bosman

Ok and sorry but it appears the Apple Method of delivering updates is still not working as intended. This issue has been present since the release of Big Sur and in some cases continues in the new Monterey macOS 12.

Personally have experienced this so suggestion is based on this experience.

Restart in Safe Mode again and use the provided link to download the Full Version of Big Sur available in the Apple Apps Store.

Use Safari to download macOS on your Mac

Safari uses these links to find the old installers in the App Store. After you download the installer from the App Store, the installer opens automatically.

Jan 29, 2022 10:10 AM in response to 26bosman

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

Are any of the below software installed on this computer?

As for Antivirus software, there are may different Named AV Software including Norton AV, Intego AV, Sophos AC, Trend AV and and this list is very long.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

This will include CleanMyMac 

This will include BitDefender 

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Feb 1, 2022 5:02 AM in response to 26bosman

26bosman wrote:

Thanks for the reply.
So is this a known issue with Big Sur and hopefully rectified in the future?

Is might be know by some user who have experienced this issue, it is known to those to attempt to assist other users who are experiencing this issue.

As for does Apple Know - it has been reported to them, I have done so several times.

As for a fix in the future - that we can only hope so.

Software Updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.