Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to update to Monterey - A required firmware update could not be installed

Hi

I hope someone here can help. I have an Apple MacBook Air "Core i7" 2.2 13" (Early 2015) that is currently running Big Sur and I am trying to get updated to Monterey, but I am not having any success.

This shows details of my machine for info:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/specs/macbook-air-core-i7-2.2-13-early-2015-specs.html

No matter what I try to install Monterey I get a black mocOS Update Assistant screen with a yellow warning triangle with the message "A required firmware update could not be installed."

A summary of things I have tried....

1) Update Monterey from Big Sur after the installer seems to be going fine I then get the message 'A required firmware update could not be installed'

2) Erase disk using Disk Utility (I have tried multiple times erasing to both APFS and Mac OS Extended (Journaled)) from a bootable USB of Monterey after the installer seems to be going fine I then get the message 'A required firmware update could not be installed'

3) Erase disk using Disk Utility (I have tried multiple times erasing to both APFS and Mac OS Extended (Journaled)) from a bootable USB of Big Sur. This installed Big Sur without any issues on both file system formats. However I then tried updating to Monterey via a bootable USB of Monterey and get the message 'A required firmware update could not be installed'

4) I have even tried swapping out the NVMe SSD for a brand new WD SN550 as a sort of last resort feeling the drive may be dying. After repeating 2) and 3) I get the same message 'A required firmware update could not be installed'

After spending far too many hours on the internet looking how to resolve this, I need help!!

I understand that Apple now send firmware updates out via the OS updates and basically the message is telling me that a firmware is needing to be updated on the MacBook Air for Monterey to be installed, but that for whatever reason this coudnt happen.

From system information, this is details of my firmware:

Somewhere I came across said to check the integrity of the EFI so I followed the instructions and this is the output:

I understand that the last portion of the EFI Version is the date... [20]18-02-27 09:37

I havent been able to find out if this is out of date or what the right version number should be, but it does sound to be old if its from 2018.

I then found another post advising how I could manually update the firmware by extracting the MBA71.fd file (in my instance for my MacBook Air) from the Monterey installation media and then running a terminal command on my working Big Sur installation. Per the instructions I disabled SIP using the recovery terminal then ran the command and the output from that is attached.

Per the instructions I turned off the Mac then turned it back on. The progress bar did take longer (the instructions said it would) and then I got the log in screen. I logged back in and checked System Information however the version has not changed.

I have tried updating to Monterey again just ins case but it came up with the same message 'A required firmware update could not be installed'

Lastly I tried SilentKnight app to confirm the details and this is what this shows:

Any assistance would be gratefully received as I want to get this upgraded and cant continue to spend hours wasting my time :-)

Cheers

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 7:54 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jan 29, 2022 10:23 AM in response to Bon-ja-mon

Bon-ja-mon wrote:

Thanks for the reply. From my reading of forums the message people get when the issue is a non Apple original NVMe SSD is very similar but not the same. Their message advises "A required firmware update could not be installed. Compatible internal storage is required in order to update." such as this:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/05f65baa-7d8e-47e4-9a76-2e6f6b56efe4

As far as I know, the NVMe SSD I had in the machine was an orignal, unless you can confirm otherwise? It is a Intel SSDPEKKF512G8L

This drive and the new WD SN550 are the only 2 NVMe SSDs I have. If you know my first SSD isnt an original and that the message I get is related to this, would this need to go to a Genius Bar appointment for them to get the firmware installed? It is very frustrating to not be able to upgrade when it is compatible and even more rubbish if this is a result of a specific model of SSD!

One knows very well - working Remotely one can not " confirm otherwise " this is an Original Apple SSD.

Yes, the drive might be Original Intel but does not make is Apple Original.

For that the user would need to verify and possible method is System Report>> Storage category

Do not shoot the messenger - Apple makes the decisions so any complaint needs to directly to Apple

Jan 29, 2022 9:06 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks for the reply. From my reading of forums the message people get when the issue is a non Apple original NVMe SSD is very similar but not the same. Their message advises "A required firmware update could not be installed. Compatible internal storage is required in order to update." such as this:

As far as I know, the NVMe SSD I had in the machine was an orignal, unless you can confirm otherwise? It is a Intel SSDPEKKF512G8L

This drive and the new WD SN550 are the only 2 NVMe SSDs I have. If you know my first SSD isnt an original and that the message I get is related to this, would this need to go to a Genius Bar appointment for them to get the firmware installed? It is very frustrating to not be able to upgrade when it is compatible and even more rubbish if this is a result of a specific model of SSD!

Jan 29, 2022 8:10 AM in response to Bon-ja-mon

There are reports appearing on the ASC Forums regarding failed installation of Monterey on older Qualifying Apple Computers. In most cases this is related to having a NON Apple Original internal drive ?  

The EFI Boot ROM included in Monterey is verifying for Original Apple Drive and if not found , may Balk or fail to upgrade to Monterey. 

Reports indicate the EFI BOOT ROM is Required to Flash the Computer and is a  requirement for a Successful Monterey Installation.

Unable to update to Monterey - A required firmware update could not be installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.