Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook 2008 problems

I'm clearing out all of my things in preparation for a move abroad and I have an ancient 2008 MacBook I want to get rid of.

The exterior of it is in great shape and it turns on, but then to get it to do anything else is either incredibly slow or doesn't work. I tried doing a force reset and I can get to the "OSX Utilities" screen and select the option for Disk Utility with the keyboard but when I try to click on continue, nothing happens.

What I would ideally like to do is wipe all of my info from it (as well as log out of iCloud and iMessage) and then either sell it for parts if I can find a buyer or dispose of it entirely.

Has anyone had a similar experience and knows if I take it into an Apple store and ask them just to reset it entirely, would they be able to force it to do that? And would there be a charge involved?

Thank you!

MacBook

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 6:06 PM

Here is an Apple article on things you should do when preparing to sell or dispose of a Mac (the clean install portion of this article may not show the proper instructions for macOS 10.7 and earlier regarding the last step for the clean install of macOS):

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Keep in mind this article assumes your Mac either uses an SSD or that Filevault is enabled if the Mac uses a hard drive. It is easiest to erase a hard drive if you first enable Filevault on it although Filevault 1 associated with macOS 10.7 and earlier still may leave some of your personal data exposed on the drive since only the home user folder was encrypted with Filevault 1. If the laptop uses a hard drive and Filevault is not enabled, then you should perform a secure erase by writing a single pass of zeroes to the hard drive when erasing (on older versions of Disk Utility there is a "secure erase" or "advanced options" button).

It is also possible to just remove the hard drive from the laptop so you can connect it to another computer where you can write zeroes to the whole drive (or have someone else do this for you since newer versions of macOS make this difficult since the option was removed from the Disk Utility GUI app). Any computer tech/repair shop (Mac or PC) can write zeroes to the whole drive to destroy the data on it. You can also physically bash & destroy the hard drive which may be necessary if the hard drive is failing which may be why the laptop is so slow.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2022 6:06 PM in response to jeaninew415

Here is an Apple article on things you should do when preparing to sell or dispose of a Mac (the clean install portion of this article may not show the proper instructions for macOS 10.7 and earlier regarding the last step for the clean install of macOS):

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Keep in mind this article assumes your Mac either uses an SSD or that Filevault is enabled if the Mac uses a hard drive. It is easiest to erase a hard drive if you first enable Filevault on it although Filevault 1 associated with macOS 10.7 and earlier still may leave some of your personal data exposed on the drive since only the home user folder was encrypted with Filevault 1. If the laptop uses a hard drive and Filevault is not enabled, then you should perform a secure erase by writing a single pass of zeroes to the hard drive when erasing (on older versions of Disk Utility there is a "secure erase" or "advanced options" button).

It is also possible to just remove the hard drive from the laptop so you can connect it to another computer where you can write zeroes to the whole drive (or have someone else do this for you since newer versions of macOS make this difficult since the option was removed from the Disk Utility GUI app). Any computer tech/repair shop (Mac or PC) can write zeroes to the whole drive to destroy the data on it. You can also physically bash & destroy the hard drive which may be necessary if the hard drive is failing which may be why the laptop is so slow.

Jan 29, 2022 12:03 PM in response to jeaninew415

..jeaninew415:

With the early (white/black) 2008 poly encased MacBook4.1 13-inch model and slightly newer poly 2008 white MacBook(s); those two have older macOS 10.7.5 listed as Last Supported (Lion.) Both use same model ID, MacBook4.1.

While the Aluminum Late 2008 is a different13-inch MacBook5.1 and other useful identifiers too.

This model could be upgraded to El Capitan 10.11.6, and has newer hardware, etc.

An Apple Authorized Service Provider may be able to help, for a fee; while an Apple Store Genius may or may not be able to. The former should be more available, as independent business; the later has online resources too, that can be useful.

• Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

• Apple - Find Locations (sales, service/support; retail and AASP, etc)

https://locate.apple.com/

The older white/black poly cased build model examples, could start and be wiped from their original or similar vintage optical systems media installer DVDs. The later Aluminum Late 2008 MacBook5.1 may use internet recovery(?) as that partition could exist; and may be in the Firmware. Those shipped with an earlier system on install/restore discs nonetheless.

• MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008)

specs (from Mactracker database app)

OVERVIEW

Introduced October 2008 Discontinued June 2009

Model Identifier MacBook5,1

Model Number A1278 EMC 2254

Order Number MB466LL/A (2.0 GHz), or MB467LL/A (2.4 GHz)

Software (on disc media ~ as shipped)

Original OS Mac OS X 10.5.5 (9F2088, 9F2114, 9F2533)

Later OS Mac OS X 10.5.6 (9G2133) ~ [Even Later Snow Leopard 10.6.x]

Maximum OS OS X 10.11.6 (15G31)

AirDrop Supported Hardware Test AHT 3A147

As this detail may not help, should your original disc have wandered off and got lost over time, the idea is worth knowing.

And I have no answers to that one. [My older MacBook1.1 and slightly newer MacBook Pro9.1; both 13-inch, are working.]

Everymac.com has their 'ultimate mac lookup' that likely has bits of detailed info.

Macbook 2008 problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.