📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I bought a used Mac and have no password

I sold my used Mac and buyers wants my password is it ok to give him it

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 1:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 1:36 PM

You have to do this: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

2 replies

Jan 29, 2022 4:26 PM in response to macmonica75

NO! Never give out your passwords to anyone.

If the buyers give you the Mac you can perform the steps as listed in the Apple article @BobTheFisherman linked especially if you have your AppleID tied to that Mac in any way.

Otherwise, have the new owners perform a clean install of macOS by first erasing the whole physical drive (Intel Mac, with M1 Macs you only erase the Container) before reinstalling macOS by following the last step in the article @BobTheFisherman linked. The buyers needs to do this by booting into Recovery Mode (Command + R), Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R), or from a bootable macOS USB installer.

By not erasing the old Mac you risk having your personal data accessed by other people so hopefully you had Filevault enabled on that Mac.

I bought a used Mac and have no password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.