Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buyer is requesting password after I already wiped Mac book air clean

I sold my mac book air on Ebay. Before I sent it, I wiped it clean (although it took me a while to figure out how to do it). Now the buyer is saying he needs my password to access it. If I correctly wiped it clean, he wouldn't need my password, would he?

Posted on May 6, 2021 10:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2021 1:54 PM

Can you confirm that you have used the procedure listed here ➔ What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your Mac.

If you have used the procedure mentioned in the link above then you should be good to go.

The other thing is that I wonder which password is the buyer exactly looking for? If it is an Apple ID activation password then you may not have successfully returned the MacBook Air to factory settings. Could it be a firmware password? At which point does the request for password appear?

Axel F.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2021 1:54 PM in response to palawboy

Can you confirm that you have used the procedure listed here ➔ What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your Mac.

If you have used the procedure mentioned in the link above then you should be good to go.

The other thing is that I wonder which password is the buyer exactly looking for? If it is an Apple ID activation password then you may not have successfully returned the MacBook Air to factory settings. Could it be a firmware password? At which point does the request for password appear?

Axel F.

Buyer is requesting password after I already wiped Mac book air clean

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.