Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Freeing up space by removing music

I have 38GB of music on my Mac. But I only listen to music via my iPhone, and I have a family subscription to Apple Music anyway. Furthermore I have iCloud music syncing turned on. Can't I somehow free up the 38GB now occupied by all this music? And if I delete all of it somehow from my Mac, will it still be available to me via iCloud? I've looked around online and in help and can't seem to find this specifically addressed. Thanks so much for any guidance!

PS--I'm running Big Sur on a late 2013 MacBook Pro. And I have 2TB on iCloud, 90% of it free.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 2:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 2:29 PM

I would recommend you backup the whole library to an external drive first, just in case you later find that a matched version of a song isn't quite what you're expecting. Once done you can select content in the library, right-click, and use Remove Download to free up the space used by the local copies leaving a cloud entry that you can stream.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2022 2:29 PM in response to HudsonDude

I would recommend you backup the whole library to an external drive first, just in case you later find that a matched version of a song isn't quite what you're expecting. Once done you can select content in the library, right-click, and use Remove Download to free up the space used by the local copies leaving a cloud entry that you can stream.

tt2

Freeing up space by removing music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.