Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is my location 600 miles away from me when i sign in to my apple id

iPhone XS, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 6:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 6:29 PM

Because that’s the physical address associated with the IP address you’re using as designated by the ISP, and because it’s more expensive for the ISP to be more accurate with the address, and because better accuracy is hazardous for users. IP addresses are best considered to be correct when they’re in the same country.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2022 6:29 PM in response to crane14

Because that’s the physical address associated with the IP address you’re using as designated by the ISP, and because it’s more expensive for the ISP to be more accurate with the address, and because better accuracy is hazardous for users. IP addresses are best considered to be correct when they’re in the same country.

Jan 29, 2022 6:30 PM in response to crane14

What if I don’t recognize the location shown in my sign in notification?

When you sign in on a device, you’ll get a notification on your other trusted devices that includes a map showing the approximate location of the new device. This is an approximate location based on the IP address the device is currently using, rather than the exact location of the device. The location shown might reflect the network you're connected to, and not your physical location. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.