Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ive been running the migration assistant for several hours and the dialogue box on my pc still says "gathering documents". Is something not working?

Ive been running the migration assistant for several hours and the dialogue box on my pc still says "gathering documents". Is something not working?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 9:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 9:19 AM

In my experience using Migration Assistant to transfer data has only taken an hour or so to complete. Of course, that can vary depending on the volume of data being transferred and the speed of transfer. I hope you are using only a USB cable to connect the two computers. An Ethernet cable will work but is much slower. Wi-Fi will generally fit. It is too slow and your data is likely to be corrupted. I would connect as noted and restart the process carefully following the instructions.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2022 9:19 AM in response to 88tiffany

In my experience using Migration Assistant to transfer data has only taken an hour or so to complete. Of course, that can vary depending on the volume of data being transferred and the speed of transfer. I hope you are using only a USB cable to connect the two computers. An Ethernet cable will work but is much slower. Wi-Fi will generally fit. It is too slow and your data is likely to be corrupted. I would connect as noted and restart the process carefully following the instructions.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.