Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Parental controls error

After opening parental controls (Mojave) and unlocking the controls, when I click on my son’s account it sends me back to the main settings menu and puts up a message box:

”Preferences error. There was an error in Parental Controls preferences.”

Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm currently upgrading to Catalina in hopes that that will help.

Any other suggestions?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 5:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 12:01 PM

Upgrading to Catalina from Mojave solved the problem. Parental controls are formatted completely differently and it will increase my ability to fine tune the controls I have over his computer even remotely and the limits will simultaneously apply to his iPad. But I knew all this before and I was happy with Mojave.

Upgrading to Mojave worked but it was not an ideal solution because now he has lost access to all of his 32-bit video games that are not being ported to 64-bit (like almost all of the Lego Star Wars and Marvel games!). He hasn’t played them in a while and hopefully he just won’t notice…

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2022 12:01 PM in response to evstein

Upgrading to Catalina from Mojave solved the problem. Parental controls are formatted completely differently and it will increase my ability to fine tune the controls I have over his computer even remotely and the limits will simultaneously apply to his iPad. But I knew all this before and I was happy with Mojave.

Upgrading to Mojave worked but it was not an ideal solution because now he has lost access to all of his 32-bit video games that are not being ported to 64-bit (like almost all of the Lego Star Wars and Marvel games!). He hasn’t played them in a while and hopefully he just won’t notice…

Parental controls error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.