Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I remove my apple account info from the admin account on my MacBook Pro?

I am wanting to keep my admin account strictly as an admin account. When I first got my MacBook I didn’t realize it would create my very first profile as an admin. I currently created a standard user account that I will be using regularly so that I don’t log into my admin account all the time. I just need to know if it’s possible to remove my apple data from the admin account. If this is possible how do I go about doing this?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 9:24 PM

Hi merian193,

It might be easier to create a new (empty) administrator account, and use it to demote your regular user account to a standard user. To do this, follow these steps:

1. On your regular user account, open System Preferences -> Users and Groups.
  2. Click the padlock in the bottom left corner, and enter your password when prompted.
  3. If desired, delete the standard user account you made earlier.
  4. Click (+) to create a new user account. Be sure to select Administrator for the New Account type. Give it a name that is different than your regular user account.
  5. When finished, log out: Click the Apple logo in the top left corner, and select Log Out. Or, press Shift-Command-Q.
  6. The new admin account should appear on the login screen. Log in to it.
  7. When the Setup Assistant appears, skip any prompts relating to an Apple ID.
  8. When the desktop appears, go to System Preferences -> Users and Groups. Unlock the padlock as before.
  9. Select your regular account, and uncheck "Allow user to administer this computer".
  10. Restart your Mac to apply the changes.

If you still want to remove your Apple info from your regular user account and "convert" it to a purely admin account instead of the above steps, please let me know.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2022 9:24 PM in response to merian193

Hi merian193,

It might be easier to create a new (empty) administrator account, and use it to demote your regular user account to a standard user. To do this, follow these steps:

1. On your regular user account, open System Preferences -> Users and Groups.
  2. Click the padlock in the bottom left corner, and enter your password when prompted.
  3. If desired, delete the standard user account you made earlier.
  4. Click (+) to create a new user account. Be sure to select Administrator for the New Account type. Give it a name that is different than your regular user account.
  5. When finished, log out: Click the Apple logo in the top left corner, and select Log Out. Or, press Shift-Command-Q.
  6. The new admin account should appear on the login screen. Log in to it.
  7. When the Setup Assistant appears, skip any prompts relating to an Apple ID.
  8. When the desktop appears, go to System Preferences -> Users and Groups. Unlock the padlock as before.
  9. Select your regular account, and uncheck "Allow user to administer this computer".
  10. Restart your Mac to apply the changes.

If you still want to remove your Apple info from your regular user account and "convert" it to a purely admin account instead of the above steps, please let me know.

How can I remove my apple account info from the admin account on my MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.