Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help - Issue importing into Photos after updating OS to 12.2

Hi - We have our precious family Photos library stored on a Synology NAS and it has worked flawlessly for years. But after having updated the OS to 12.2, Photos just stalls when trying to import, nothing happens - see attached screen dump (the text is in Danish fyi).

I would be really grateful if someone has an idea as to what might be wrong??

(I have tried to repair the library several times, but it doesn't solve the problem.)

thanks, Michael

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 9:27 AM

A Photos Library must not be on a NAS. You have been lucky, that you did not have problems previously. On a NAS you are risking dataloss because of synchronisation errors, as Photos has not been designed to work as a network database.

See: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

"Make sure that your external storage device, such as a USB drive or Thunderbolt drive, is formatted for Mac: either APFS format or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format.

You can't store your library on a storage device used for Time Machine backups. And to avoid possible data loss, don't store your library on a removable storage device like an SD card or USB flash drive, or on a device shared over your network or the internet, including over a cloud-based storage service."

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2022 9:27 AM in response to mkirke

A Photos Library must not be on a NAS. You have been lucky, that you did not have problems previously. On a NAS you are risking dataloss because of synchronisation errors, as Photos has not been designed to work as a network database.

See: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

"Make sure that your external storage device, such as a USB drive or Thunderbolt drive, is formatted for Mac: either APFS format or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format.

You can't store your library on a storage device used for Time Machine backups. And to avoid possible data loss, don't store your library on a removable storage device like an SD card or USB flash drive, or on a device shared over your network or the internet, including over a cloud-based storage service."

Feb 22, 2022 4:29 AM in response to mkirke

Yes, the external drive solution is the safest.

Prepare the drive as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

When you want to share the library between several users, it is essential to set the "Ignore Ownership on this volume" flag, or you will have problems with the ownership of the files inside the photos library.

Feb 22, 2022 1:51 AM in response to léonie

Many thanks Léonie for clearing this up for me!

However I'm also somewhat sad to learn that having our family Photos libraries on a NAS - a solution, that has worked well over the years - is actually not supported by Apple. It has just been very convenient that everyone in the house could easily access our family pictures (about 600 gb all together) wireless from the NAS down in our basement. I wonder why Apple does not support such convenience - to let Photos to work as a network database, as you write?

In any case, I guess we have to move back to using external hard drives again, if I'm right?

Thanks again,

Michael

Help - Issue importing into Photos after updating OS to 12.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.