You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trouble understanding disk space

I do not understand the many different estimates of disk space I get. In GetInfo, I see one number. When I add up Applications, Library, System, and Users on the disk, I get another (much smaller) number. My bootable backups (which ought to correspond to the whole disk) are a lot smaller as well. None of this makes a lot of sense. Help!

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 1:40 PM

10 replies

Jan 31, 2022 6:05 AM in response to Dannymac22

To begin with, I believe that the Disk Utility usage includes storage for Time Machine local snapshots (see About Time Machine local snapshots) while About this Mac>Storage marks such storage as available.

As for bootable backups, I suspect that Time Machine no longer backs up macOS per se. Instead full recovery relies on restoring the OS following by using the Migration Assistant to restore user files, non-OS apps, system settings, etc. (which, of course, are included in the Time Machine backup). I, myself, don't use Carbon Copy or SuperDuper although I've seen several posts recommending these programs (with certain caveats).

- Pie Lover

Jan 30, 2022 4:30 PM in response to Dannymac22

Well, it's a bit complicated. I suggest having a look at About this Mac>Storage>Manage... It offers a good summary (see below) as well as suggestions to reduce storage.

Different estimates are calculated in different ways. For example, my Time Machine volume shows 2.7 TB even though the quota for that volume is 160GB (multiples backup copies do not use additional storage beyond that of the original file).

- Pie Lover

Jan 30, 2022 5:30 PM in response to BlueberryLover

Let me be specific. Here is my system disk.

*About this Mac/Storage

Applications 21.48 GB

Documents 43.89 GB

OS 15.75 GB

Sys data 109.68 GB Total 190.80GB

*Finder

Applications 23.27 GB (22.26 GB on disk)

Library 8.43 GB (6.61 GB on disk)

System 28.36 GB (16.69 GB on disk)

User 61.93 GB (63.36 GB on disk) Total 121.99 GB 107.92GB on disk

*Disk utility

name of disk 15.75 GB

data 174.71 GB Total 190.46 GB

*Backup disk

136.7 GB on disk

So these numbers largely don't correspond. Not clear if the REAL total on the disk is 190 or 108 GB (or 137 GB?)

What an absolute mess. Surely there is some explanation for how these numbers are supposed to relate to each other?

Jan 30, 2022 5:56 PM in response to Dannymac22

I can tell you how to make all this much more simple. Just ignore everything except for Disk Utility. Disk Utility will show you the correct size of your hard drive and the amount of free storage. Anything else the system tells you in any of the other places is bogus.

I can't speak to the bootable backups only to suggest that they probably aren't actually bootable. Recent versions of macOS can break booting from external drives.

Jan 30, 2022 6:06 PM in response to etresoft

I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm reluctant to believe that Apple is content to list bogus stuff. I have to assume that these titles mean slightly different things in different places. I'm also a little reluctant to believe that Apple is out to confuse us, but they're doing a good job of it. As to bootable backups, I use SuperDuper (with Monterey on a silicon iMac). Highly bootable backup. They work great. There are some guidelines that Dave Nanian has written up. Now, those bootable backups don't seem to work with old USB2 hard disks. When I moved up to the new iMac, those stopped working for bootable backups. You need speedier storage, such as an SSD.

Jan 31, 2022 6:24 AM in response to BlueberryLover

That's interesting. Thank you.

Now, SuperDuper (silicon Mac, Monterey) certainly backs up everything but that's correct, Time Machine does not back up the OS. I believe that when you want to do a Time Machine recovery, the system just pulls down the latest OS, and attaches all your files to it. That means that you are FORCED to upgrade, even though you might not want to. That is, you don't get to say "Please restore me to where I was with Big Sur (or Catalina, or whatever)." That is not the case with bootable backups. With a bootable backup, you are restored to exactly what you had before.

If your disk goes south, you need to replace the disk and THEN do a Time Machine Backup. With a bootable backup, you're back up running in just a few minutes.

Jan 31, 2022 10:55 AM in response to Dannymac22

Dannymac22 wrote:

The purpose of my question was to ASK how it all works. When I see values that confuse or mislead people, my first assumption is that there is something that I just don't understand. The question still stands.

My answer still stands too.

I can explain how it is supposed to work. Buckle up, buttercup!

I'll break things down into three categories - free storage, snapshots, and categories.

Free storage:

Modern macOS uses the APFS file system. This file system is supposed to be much better at conserving disk space by only writing new data when the old data actually changes. You can duplicate a single file tens of thousands of times with no meaningful loss of disk space.

However, what this means is that no individual file size has any meaning any more. A file listed as 100 MB in size could be 100 MB, or 50 MB, or 20 bytes. Obviously, this problem gets worse when you look at entire folders. The "size" of a folder is now completely meaningless. All of the files in a 10 GB folder could also reside in a different 10 GB folder. But the total size used by both folders is only 10 GB of storage.

If you look around, you'll notice that the operating system never even talks about "free" storage anymore. Instead, it is called "available" storage. People think they mean the same thing, but they are wrong. "Free" storage means that the storage isn't being used. "Available" storage means that the storage actually is being used, but could be deleted if you really need it. How do you decide if you really need it? Trick question - you don't. The operating system decides that, on its own schedule. If you run out of disk space, you will likely get lots of warning about running out of application memory (long story) and storage. So you go off and delete a bunch of files. Maybe you delete 10 GB of files. And yet, your free (or available) storage doesn't change. The problem is that those 10 GB are still being used by other files. In most cases, after a frustrating delay, the operating system will go ahead and delete some of the files it is hanging on to and give you more usable storage. But this always happens a significant time after all of the scary warnings and frantic, but useless, deletions.

The only place to see the actual "free" storage is in Disk Utility and some command-line tools that nobody knows about.

Snapshots:

One of the primary reasons for all this problem is local snapshots. The operating system automatically makes copies of its filesystem on a regular basis. When you delete files, all you are doing it setting a flag to tell the operating system that the file is unwanted. You actually can't delete files at all, by any means. Only the operating system has the right to delete your files. It will not delete any files that still have a pointer to them. So if you have copies of a file and delete one or more copies, nothing gets changed because there is still one, original pointer to the file. APFS local snapshots maintain pointers to ALL files. To delete a file, you may need to delete snapshots, which can only be done via some utility or on the command line.

Categories:

This is probably one of the most frustrating of all problems. When people see categories with names like "System", "Applications", "Documents", they naturally think that these refer to specific directories on the hard drive with the same names. They don't. They have nothing to do with each other.

These categories all come from the Spotlight disk indexing system. Many of these categories are pretty straightforwards and sometimes very specific - Applications, Mail, Message, Photos. No doubt about those. But what about "Documents" or "System data"? In most cases, the "System data" is just a catch-all for any files that couldn't be otherwise categorized.

If you have external hard drives, or mechanical hard drives, then spotlight gets really, really slow. This will cause the "System data" size to balloon because the operating system gives up waiting for Spotlight.

In essence, the data is accurate, unless it isn't. If you can think of a better description than "bogus", I'd love to hear it.

trouble understanding disk space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.