Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password change -- Problems in Mail app

I just upgraded to Monterey 12.2 OS. When logging into a regular news site I got a new message saying my password might have been comrpromised in a data leak. I changed my Google password (which is what I use) in all 3 devices I use -- iMac, iPad, iPhone. The iPhone and iPad are fine. But on iMac with this new OS, my Mail app does not now recognize my mail (messages stay in Outbox, unsent). When I go to accounts and select Google, it asks me to grant MacOS permission to read and delete all my emails, contacts (what terrible language --- why would I want that? I think the message meant 'do we have permission to do in the app everything you do on Google?'

When I said yes, then I get a message simply saying 'this account already exists' --- which makes no sense at all. I cannot send messages (or receive them) on my Mail app on iMac. How do I solve this? Thanks.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 9:55 AM

corbinbdc wrote:

I just upgraded to Monterey 12.2 OS. When logging into a regular news site I got a new message saying my password might have been comrpromised in a data leak. I changed my Google password (which is what I use) in all 3 devices I use -- iMac, iPad, iPhone. The iPhone and iPad are fine. But on iMac with this new OS, my Mail app does not now recognize my mail (messages stay in Outbox, unsent). When I go to accounts and select Google, it asks me to grant MacOS permission to read and delete all my emails, contacts (what terrible language --- why would I want that? I think the message meant 'do we have permission to do in the app everything you do on Google?'

When I said yes, then I get a message simply saying 'this account already exists' --- which makes no sense at all. I cannot send messages (or receive them) on my Mail app on iMac. How do I solve this? Thanks.

See if there is anything here—

If you can’t send or receive email on your Mac

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204075

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2022 9:55 AM in response to corbinbdc

corbinbdc wrote:

See if there is anything here—

If you can’t send or receive email on your Mac

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204075

Jan 31, 2022 10:08 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks much. I did finally figure it out -- I had to go to "internet accounts" under System Preferences, enter the new password, then somehow it enabled my email account just fine.. Though why I couldn't do exactly the same thing under "Preferences" in the Mail App itself is totally beyond me. I still don't understand why there was a problem in the first place. It didn't help that under Internet accounts there is a Google icon, then *another* Google icon (imap). How is a non-computer geek really supposed to know which one to choose? But I appreciate your reply....

Password change -- Problems in Mail app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.