Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to access any desktop pictures

Using Monterey 12.1 on 2017 iMac

I went to change my desktop picture and to my surprise there are no pictures to choose from. I've done this many times in the past but here is a screenshot of my desktop pictures. Any suggestions?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 1:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 3:30 PM

You’re welcome.

Try in Safe Mode and then again after a normal restart.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/start-up-your-mac-in-safe-mode-mh21245/mac

If waiting for several minutes doesn’t load the Desktop images? Then I would test the Desktop Preference in another User Account.

6 replies

Feb 2, 2022 8:32 AM in response to den.thed

When I restarted in safe mode, the desktop pictures are there. I'm not sure what that means but hopefully it is a clue to solving this. I also restarted using a guest account and the OEM desktop pictures are there but the pictures from my Photos are not, again I don't know what this means but seems like were getting somewhere. Any suggestions and thank you in advance.

Feb 9, 2022 11:23 AM in response to den.thed

When I open the Desktop preference window it is blank. It seems the system cannot find my Desktop picture album. I thought that it must be that my Desktop picture album was not in the correct place so I restart in safe mode and then use the finder to locate my Desktop picture album and make sure that when I restart under my user name that the Desktop picture album is in the same location and it is in the same location but still not recognized. I have to give up on this for now, I have spent way too much time trying to do something as simple as change my desktop picture. I am hoping it is a bug and a future system update will correct this.

Thank you for your help on this issue, curious if anyone else is having this problem or is it just some weird problem on my computer.

Unable to access any desktop pictures

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.