Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change my default Log On ID to Office Server from my Apple ID.

I have recently set up a Mac mini as an office network server. When I click on the server in Finder on my Mac I get logged in immediately by default using my Apple ID however this only give me Read access. To get Read & Write access I have to disconnect and log in with my name and password. Can I:

1. Change the default Log In Name from my Apple ID to my name? or
  2. Stop my Apple ID being used as a Log In ID? or
  3. Give my Apple ID Read & Write access in the server's system Preferences/Sharing?

As the server will be used by others in the office I want to ensure their access to the server is simple and doesn't require multiple steps.

PS. I did find another similar question thread from 6 yrs ago. It said it was possible to stop the Apple ID from being used for Log In via System Preferences/Users & Groups however the check box mentioned doesn't seem to be available in OS Monterey.

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 9:45 AM

straightshooter wrote:

1. I have recently set up a Mac mini as an office network server. When I click on the server in Finder on my Mac I get logged in immediately by default using my Apple ID however this only give me Read access. To get Read & Write access I have to disconnect and log in with my name and password. Can I:
Change the default Log In Name from my Apple ID to my name? or
3. Give my Apple ID Read & Write access in the server's system Preferences/Sharing?

As the server will be used by others in the office I want to ensure their access to the server is simple and doesn't require multiple steps.

PS. I did find another similar question thread from 6 yrs ago. It said it was possible to stop the Apple ID from being used for Log In via System Preferences/Users & Groups however the check box mentioned doesn't seem to be available in OS Monterey.

See if there is anything here—

https://support.apple.com/macos/server

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2022 9:45 AM in response to straightshooter

straightshooter wrote:

1. I have recently set up a Mac mini as an office network server. When I click on the server in Finder on my Mac I get logged in immediately by default using my Apple ID however this only give me Read access. To get Read & Write access I have to disconnect and log in with my name and password. Can I:
Change the default Log In Name from my Apple ID to my name? or

See if there is anything here—

https://support.apple.com/macos/server

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

Feb 19, 2022 2:02 AM in response to straightshooter

Following this problem, I encountered a problem with permissions when sharing files on a shared folder on the mac mini server. New files created and uploaded to the server were unable to be opened by other users until permissions for the holding folders were globally updated - just another periodic nuisance.

I have now discovered a solution for both problems. I have created an additional volume (partition) on the mac mini SSD and placed all the shared files into this new volume. This new volume is treated like an external hard drive and, as such, has a checkbox at the bottom of the Get Info window allowing the system to "Ignore ownership on this volume". Now all nominated users have access to read & write to this shared volume without permission being denied. The mac mini now works like the server that I had intended it to be.

I wish to acknowledge and thank the community member "Old Toad" for giving me this idea as he had stated in a couple of posts that a way to overcome permission problems such as mine was by connecting a shared external hard drive and selecting this check box. I wondered if an additional volume on the internal drive would work the same - and it did!

Jan 31, 2022 6:14 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for your suggestion.

The descriptive pages and the User Guide for MacOS Server & it's Profile Manager appear to be read whilst using the application otherwise it is a bit vague as to what it is about. Unfortunately, there is no Indexed PDF file for the guide and any search of the Guide just goes back to Apple Support, which I have already tried trawling through without any success. I am not impressed by the reviews for MacOS Server in the App Store enough to consider purchasing it to find out whether it may or may not help me (it has averaged rating of approx 1.5 stars from approx 600 reviews - some reviewers saying they would give it a zero or negative score if they could!). It also seems like overkill to solve my annoying, but relatively insignificant problem. I feel I have already wasted enough time on this problem and don't want to waste more learning my way around a new app that is much more sophisticated than what I need.

I do appreciate that you took the time to read and consider my question and then reply.

Change my default Log On ID to Office Server from my Apple ID.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.