Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Series 5 GPS Stopped showing outdoor route

About a year ago my watch app stopped showing the route I snowshoe or ski. All it shows is my location (photo attached).

I found an older thread on this issue where someone said "Unpair and re-pair the watch and set it up as new,when you re-pair you should be asked if you want to enable route tracking select yes and the apple watch should be listed in location services where you can select while using the app."

I did this, and although I set it up as new, it did not ask to enable route tracking when re-paired. I used the Workout app today, and I did not get the detailed map. So I tried unpairing and re-pairing again. Again, it did not ask to enable route tracking.

Oh, and although I said "set it up as a new watch," it still has my old workout data.

Any help would be appreciated. The route tracking is an important part of my activity. Thanks!

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 4:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 4:44 PM

To see the map, you must turn on route tracking. On the iPhone, go to "Settings > Privacy > Location Services" and turn Location Services on.

1. Next tap Apple Watch Workout and then tap While Using the App.
  2. Then tap on maps then tap While Using the App.
  3. Finally tap on System Services and turn on Motion Calibration & Distance.

Another place to check is on the watch in "Settings/Privacy/Location Services" and make sure this is turned on. Then scroll down to Apple Watch Workout and select While Using the App.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2022 4:44 PM in response to NancyH

To see the map, you must turn on route tracking. On the iPhone, go to "Settings > Privacy > Location Services" and turn Location Services on.

1. Next tap Apple Watch Workout and then tap While Using the App.
  2. Then tap on maps then tap While Using the App.
  3. Finally tap on System Services and turn on Motion Calibration & Distance.

Another place to check is on the watch in "Settings/Privacy/Location Services" and make sure this is turned on. Then scroll down to Apple Watch Workout and select While Using the App.

Apple Watch Series 5 GPS Stopped showing outdoor route

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.