Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my Message app doesn't work on my MacBook pro. Why?

i can't get my Message app to work on my MacBook pro and I'm not sure why

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 5:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 5:54 PM

Hey again!

So yes, you do have to use your cell phone number to text from your Mac to non-iPhones. You can easily text other iPhone users because it’s using Apple’s iMessage service via WiFi (Or Cellular), as opposed to your wireless carriers service, in which all text messages (Non-iMessages) from your Apple devices rely on.

So can you confirm if Text Message Forwarding is turned on? And likewise that cellular data is turned on in your iPhone Settings.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2022 5:54 PM in response to iGregoryW

Hey again!

So yes, you do have to use your cell phone number to text from your Mac to non-iPhones. You can easily text other iPhone users because it’s using Apple’s iMessage service via WiFi (Or Cellular), as opposed to your wireless carriers service, in which all text messages (Non-iMessages) from your Apple devices rely on.

So can you confirm if Text Message Forwarding is turned on? And likewise that cellular data is turned on in your iPhone Settings.

Jan 30, 2022 10:27 PM in response to iGregoryW

Hey there!

No worries. Can you make sure your Mac’s name is turned on in your phone settings?:

It sounds as if you are already signed into iMessage, so I suspect this is the setting you need.

iPhone Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding.

If not, you can turn it on, the. On your Mac, you might get a prompt to allow, etc.

That maybe what you’re looking for, hope so!

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208386

Welcome back to Mac!

Jan 30, 2022 10:20 PM in response to markwmsn

Forgive me. I’m having problems with “Message” on my MacBook Pro (2016) but the problem may be my ignorance. Keep in mind, when I purchased it (a couple months ago) I hadn’t used any Apple/Macintosh computer since Apple’s newest OS was 8.0 (if memory serves) and on a Macintosh desktop computer (an SE I think & this was post iMac - I had switched to and used Windows machines from ‘09 to Feb 2013) and I’d never owned nor used an iPhone…at all. Ok, ok, you can stop laughing now.

Incidentally, this reply will have taken me over an hour to type and get just right due to my OCD and perfectionism (can you say Aspy?) so if I miss something, it was unintentional.

So, that MacBook Pro and this iPhone Xr is/are what I’m using now. Yes, I know I’m well behind the times, but I’m relatively poor, so plz don’t hate on me, at least all my OS software is up to date 😬.

So ok, I came back to Apple in 2018 and will never leave home again - I learned my lesson. I’ve used my iPhone exclusively since then up until purchasing the laptop, which brings you [all] current and to my dilemma. Using iMessage on the iPhone isn’t quite the same as on the laptop - or is it? It seems I can’t “Message” anyone with an Android from the laptop like I can from my iPhone - or so it seems. Unless I’m doing something incorrectly, and I’m still not sure if I am…yet, so I came here for help. I should stop here as I’m sensing there will be questions I need to answer before I can proceed. So now you know everything I can think of so far and my brain hurts, so I’m going to take a break while you respond. And thank you for helping me and not laughing at me too much. Oh yeah, I’m also an OG but I’m not stupid, just a little behind and a bit slower than I used to be when I was your age.

Jan 31, 2022 12:18 AM in response to DiZoE

Thanks for that. I’m just trying to send a message to someone in my contact list, but from my laptop instead of my iPhone. I’m not trying to auto-forward messages from my iPhone to my laptop tho. Apparently I can do it to other Apple devices but not androids? When I send to known iPhone users they go thru, when they’re android users they won’t go.

Jan 31, 2022 6:01 PM in response to DiZoE

No I can’t confirm the forwarding part because it’s not where you indicated it was and no, I leave cellular data off and use Wi-Fi calling when I’m at home, which is 99% of the time since I work from home.

However, you’re correct about the android/iPhone disparity. I figured that out earlier today and you just confirmed it!

Thank you.

my Message app doesn't work on my MacBook pro. Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.