Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Activate Mac -- no WiFi menu to select network

I have a 16" 2021 MacBook with M1 Max chip. I needed to erase it because of some problems I ran into. Once it rebooted and I selected the language it needs to be activated. It says to select a WiFi network from the WiFi icon at the top right of the menu bar. But there is no WiFi icon there. There is a battery icon and a select input icon (to select alphabet.) And that's it.

How do I get the WiFi menu to appear?

Thanks,

Judy

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 7:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2022 5:37 AM

It is May 24th, 2022 and the same issue just happened to me. I hard reset my mac to factory settings and was stuck on the "activate mac" page with no wifi menu bar popping up and no wifi symbol in the top right corner. Luckily the apple support man I spoke to walked me through this problem after an hour of solutions. If you are stuck on the activate mac page with no wifi bar in top right corner: You first hold down the power button until it turns off, Keep holding it do not let go until words pop up on the screen it will say something like "loading start up menu" keep holding the power button still until the gear icon (system button) pops up, click on that, I think if I remember correctly it then says continue, just follow the next steps then the wifi symbol will eventually appear in top right corner. Connect to wifi and you will have to download the update again back onto ur mac, mine was MacOs Montery. I selected that and it took about an hour for it to download on my computer.

123 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2022 5:37 AM in response to judyereese

It is May 24th, 2022 and the same issue just happened to me. I hard reset my mac to factory settings and was stuck on the "activate mac" page with no wifi menu bar popping up and no wifi symbol in the top right corner. Luckily the apple support man I spoke to walked me through this problem after an hour of solutions. If you are stuck on the activate mac page with no wifi bar in top right corner: You first hold down the power button until it turns off, Keep holding it do not let go until words pop up on the screen it will say something like "loading start up menu" keep holding the power button still until the gear icon (system button) pops up, click on that, I think if I remember correctly it then says continue, just follow the next steps then the wifi symbol will eventually appear in top right corner. Connect to wifi and you will have to download the update again back onto ur mac, mine was MacOs Montery. I selected that and it took about an hour for it to download on my computer.

May 23, 2022 12:04 PM in response to judyereese

I had this problem on my work computer at a brand new job. None of the solutions explained here worked. I was about to erase the whole computer and lose all of my files when I tried restarting, holding the physical power button + command + shift when I got an icon that said “Options.” Once I clicked that, I returned to the activation screen with the WiFi symbol there at the top right corner.

May 21, 2022 10:08 AM in response to DanJackman

Actually, it is not seen on the screen! You have toggle nearby to the far right, next to the Keyboard icon and then, it would be seen....it is greyish as well! You should wait for 30 seconds before trying to find it after you get to this "Activate Mac" screen....Hope that Apple people will fix this visibility issue in their next update!

Went through the hassle of visiting an Apple store to get this information and so, am updating here so that, it would be beneficial to others who get into this stupid issue!

Mar 29, 2022 1:16 AM in response to judyereese

Context - I work with Mac Provisioning in my company

Try the following:

SMC Reset:

• Apple Logo > Shut Down > Hold Power Button until you see Startup Options > Release Power Button > Boot to Activate Mac Screen

Re-erase your mac

• Next to the apple menu, there should be recovery assitant
  • Recovery Assistant > Erase Mac
  • This will auto restart to activate screen again hopefully with the wifi icon on the top right

Regards,

Az

Mar 15, 2022 11:36 AM in response to judyereese

I just had a similar situation with my MacBook Pro. It started on a black screen that said Activate Mac across the top and "Recovery Assistant" in the menu bar. It was asking me to connect to the Internet with either WiFi or Ethernet. But there was no wifi menu available nor a wifi symbol near the upper top right corner of the screen, only an A icon and a battery icon.

After digging through a handful of almost-helpful articles online, I found one that did the trick. It said to hold down the physical power button on the Mac until it powered off. Wait 30-seconds, then power it back on.

As I did so, there were a couple of odd schematics that showed up during the reboot (one looked like a mouse from the bottom, the other looked like a menu bar in miniature)… but eventually, I ended up at the Activate Mac screen again AND the wifi icon was in the upper right corner of the screen. That allowed me to manually enter my network name and password under the "Join Other Network" option.

I hope this helps…

Ron

Jan 30, 2022 7:54 PM in response to judyereese

Hi Judy,

If you cannot connect to Wi-Fi in macOS Recovery, try these options:

• If you have an Ethernet (female) to USB-C (male) adapter, use it to connect your Mac to an Ethernet cable.

• If Ethernet isn't available, and you have a second Mac, use your second Mac to restore (not revive) your 16" MacBook Pro. The restore process reinstalls the firmware, macOS, and macOS Recovery. It also attempts to activate your Mac, if Activation Lock is disabled. (To disable Activation Lock, check the Find My app on one of your Apple devices, or on the web. If your 16" MacBook Pro appears in your list of devices, remove it.)

Jan 31, 2022 7:56 AM in response to Encryptor5000

Thanks so much for the response and the additional info. Still no WiFi available. I did check Find My to see if activation lock was enabled but the MacBook was not listed. Thankfully, plugging in an Ethernet adapter worked and I am now at the Hello screen.

I appreciate the info about the Apple Configurator -- that's something I wasn't familiar with. Hope it never becomes necessary but I do help with some IT issues at my church and there are several who have Macs, so being familiar with options like this is helpful!

Thanks again, to all who responded.

Judy

Jan 30, 2022 7:47 PM in response to judyereese

judyereese Said:

"Activate Mac -- no WiFi menu to select network: I have a 16" 2021 MacBook with M1 Max chip. I needed to erase it because of some problems I ran into.: [...] There is a battery icon and a select input icon (to select alphabet.) And that's it. How do I get the WiFi menu to appear? Thanks, Judy"

-------

Start with another restart.

Activate Mac -- no WiFi menu to select network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.