Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microphone only working for Safari - no other apps

Hey guys,

for some reason my microphone only works for Safari but no other apps.

I already tried restarting, resetting the input audio setting via terminal and also tried third party software. Nothing helps. Seems like Safari is somehow blocking any other app from accessing the microphone. Even in the system preferences the microphone is not working, only in Safari.

and even its working for siri commands

I couldn't find anything online so hoping that you can help me.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 8:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 12:39 AM

Go to System Preferences>Security and Privacy>Privacy. Select Microphone in the left pane. Except for Apple apps, to allow apps to use the Microphone (and other things listed in the left pane) third-party apps have to be listed and checked in the right pane.

To make changes to the right pane you have to unlock the padlock in lower left by clicking on it and entering your admin password.

Frr some items like the Microphone yuu can't add an app, the app itself has to request use of the Microphone and then you can check that app.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2022 12:39 AM in response to Mohit_07

Go to System Preferences>Security and Privacy>Privacy. Select Microphone in the left pane. Except for Apple apps, to allow apps to use the Microphone (and other things listed in the left pane) third-party apps have to be listed and checked in the right pane.

To make changes to the right pane you have to unlock the padlock in lower left by clicking on it and entering your admin password.

Frr some items like the Microphone yuu can't add an app, the app itself has to request use of the Microphone and then you can check that app.

Microphone only working for Safari - no other apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.