Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'All my files'

"All my files' on my old MacBook Pro with El Capitan I have this option and can see and remove all unwanted files. This is not on my newer MacBook Pro with Big Sur and I do not use the cloud so how can I find and remove unwanted files? For example I found a load of png files dumped on me and how will I know if they haven't been dumped on the Bug Sur book and if they have where are they?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 1:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2022 6:36 AM

Where are my files stored now? Otherwise how do I remove all unwanted files now?

Most likely, the same place they were stored before. All My Files was a search folder. It wasn't an actual location. It just searched for documents and showed them in that window.

Where did you store your files, previously? Documents folder? Desktop? Where?

The Path bar shows you the path to the selected file. Did you select a file and look at the path?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2022 6:36 AM in response to 14Anfie89

Where are my files stored now? Otherwise how do I remove all unwanted files now?

Most likely, the same place they were stored before. All My Files was a search folder. It wasn't an actual location. It just searched for documents and showed them in that window.

Where did you store your files, previously? Documents folder? Desktop? Where?

The Path bar shows you the path to the selected file. Did you select a file and look at the path?

Jan 31, 2022 11:22 AM in response to 14Anfie89

I don’t really understand your question, so I’ll try to explain All my Files, it’s replacement, and how you can do something similar.

All My Files was a Search Folder that would show all of your documents.

It was replaced by Recents, but that only shows files you’ve opened.

Open a Finder window and Go < Home (cmd-shift-h). In the View menu, choose Show Path Bar.

In the Search field, type png. It should offer a search token of “PNG Files?” Select that.

Select each file and you can look at the path at the bottom of the window. You can delete (or move) that file from that window.

Feb 2, 2022 3:37 AM in response to Barney-15E

Sorry but no luck there. I had to go into View to find the Show Path Bar link and there is nothing to see. I just want to know what files are stored in my replacement Mac with Big Sur in the same way as I can see what is on my old Mac under "All My Files". Where are my files stored now? Otherwise how do I remove all unwanted files now?

'All my files'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.