Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 PRO Max - battery health

my iphome 12 PRO Max - battery health has gone down to 88% where week ago it was still 100% and i don’t think its acceptqble after paying £1100 and have just used this device for a year .

Any ideas what there can be done . And I don’t believe Apple would do any replacement or repair on battery as warranty has run out now .

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 3:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 6:44 AM

88% after a year isn’t unusual and is in line with normal expectations. While I haven’t personally seen 12% less that quickly, it’s only an estimate and doesn’t reflect a real time battery health reading. I’ve seen the value fall 4% overnight after months of not moving. Obviously the capacity was dropping steadily over those months, but for whatever reason, that was when the update “dropped”.

Under 80% is Apple’s standard for replacement under warranty, with a few caveats including how many cycles have been logged.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2022 6:44 AM in response to kristapsfromnottingham

88% after a year isn’t unusual and is in line with normal expectations. While I haven’t personally seen 12% less that quickly, it’s only an estimate and doesn’t reflect a real time battery health reading. I’ve seen the value fall 4% overnight after months of not moving. Obviously the capacity was dropping steadily over those months, but for whatever reason, that was when the update “dropped”.

Under 80% is Apple’s standard for replacement under warranty, with a few caveats including how many cycles have been logged.

Jan 31, 2022 6:41 AM in response to MrBill3

Hello,

Thanks for the response .

Phone is slightly older than a year and warranty has expired already .

Im not really using my phone excessively , mainly calls , messages and Facebook occasionally .

And it doesn’t feel right that I will have 100% in the morning 8am and by 1pm it be gone down to 15% without even using phone much at all .

is this really what year old phone meant to be like ? 🤔

Jan 31, 2022 3:08 PM in response to kristapsfromnottingham

kristapsfromnottingham wrote:
Thanks for this .

Maybe I’m just being unreasonable but just seems like battery health is dropping too quickly .

And I’m comparing to my previous iPhones - I have used iPhones for about last 8 years and none of them previously wasn’t at even 80% after 2-3 year use .

What's the saying in investing? Past performance is not indicative of future results.

There's really no way of knowing. Apple has this extremely generic nominal rating of 500 charge-discharge cycles before an "expected" battery health of 80%. For every single iPhone model since the iPhone 5, no matter how big or small. Seems too perfect, doesn't it? In the end that's just an expectation and the standard for which they judge battery warranty (or AppleCare) claims simply for premature loss of capacity. But it's just shoehorning many conditions into something that's easy enough to understand and implement, such as (I've used this analogy before) Michelin offering a treadwear warranty. There's no way that they can really know that every set is going to last exactly 60k miles. But they have a good idea what it's going to be like on average, and they hope that most do better so they don't have to pay out claims.

If it really bothers you, there is the option to pay for a new battery. Or many don't wish to pay and get a USB power pack to supplement an internal battery.

iPhone 12 PRO Max - battery health

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.