Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can not install macOS Monterey.

I can not install macOS monterey. I have not been able to install it from systems preferences or the App Store. I entered the word monterey into spotlight and was able to download the files but the update would not install. In fact, after I update downloaded, my computer would not restart.

I have a late 2015 iMac and over 500 G of storage space available.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 4:33 AM

3 replies

Jan 31, 2022 9:01 AM in response to mokay36768

Thank you both. I was able to resolve the issue shortly after I posted this question.

For some reason, I could not shutdown my computer completely through the Apple menu. I used the power button, waited about 5 minutes, and turned the computer back on. The updates from Big Sur were finally able to download. At that point, I was able to go to system preferences and download Monterey.

Jan 31, 2022 6:05 AM in response to mokay36768

At what stage of the install did the Mac freeze? (i.e. what was displayed on the screen).

What happened upon the when you restarted the Mac? To restart did you press and hold the Power button until the Mac shutdown and released and did a normal startup?

Possible problem areas:

Uninstall any antivirus and "cleaning" apps before trying installing again.

Further, you need an Apple disk installed to upgrade to Monterey since the upgrade includes an update to the Mac's firmware. That update looks for an Apple disk and write to the dick to do the firmware update. The install will terminate or freeze if no Apple disk.

Some users have problem with skipping upgrade versions and even not updating to the latest version of Big Sur. Some users have experienced problems by skipping upgrade,es like going from 10.15 to 12 (Monterey). I recommend incrementally upgrading to each sequential version. To find older versions:]

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Do you have Fusion drive? It appears iMac w/Fusion drive frequently have problems going to Monterey.

I can not install macOS Monterey.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.