Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 16" 2019 battery gets lower and lower while plugged in

Hi.

I use my MacBook for work, and I've it plugged in while I develop apps. The fan gets pretty much noisy while I work, so I imagine it'd pull some electricity while I work. At the end of my workday, the battery percentage is about 5% and it says it's not charging.

When I cancel all of my high intensive work applications, it barely starts changing back up. It literally says it will take nearly 16 hours to be fully charged..

Is my MacBook broken?

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 11:10 AM

It's not supposed to do that. The power adapter and cable included with your MacBook Pro have the capacity to charge its battery while working with as many apps as you can, simultaneously.

Something is wrong. Read If your Mac battery won't charge - Apple Support, and for reference, Charge the MacBook Pro battery - Apple Support.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2022 11:10 AM in response to Sandb0x

It's not supposed to do that. The power adapter and cable included with your MacBook Pro have the capacity to charge its battery while working with as many apps as you can, simultaneously.

Something is wrong. Read If your Mac battery won't charge - Apple Support, and for reference, Charge the MacBook Pro battery - Apple Support.

Jan 31, 2022 6:41 PM in response to Sandb0x

In addition to @John Galt's advice:

Make sure the charger is connected directly to the laptop since multiport adapters or hubs/docks may not allow the full power of the charger to reach the laptop.

Also try using another USB-C port especially on the other side of the laptop.

Try rotating the connector of the charging cable 180 degrees upside down in case the USB-C port is half bad. If this works, then you will need to have the laptop repaired.

I have personally experienced several of our organization's16" 2019 laptops with this issue, but I don't recall if it occurred while the charger was directly connected to the laptop.

Try disconnecting all external devices (especially ones without their own power supplies) in case they are drawing too much power from the laptop.

Carefully inspect each USB-C port to see if the contacts are dirty or damaged (both top & bottom). It is extremely difficult to clearly see the contacts. The majority of USB-C Apple laptops I repair tend to have at least one USB-C port that usually has some corrosion from liquid damage. I have gotten pretty good at examining these USB-C ports, but sometimes I still miss corrosion damage when I tear the laptop apart and examine the I/O Boards after removing them from the laptop.

Run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

If none of our suggestions helps and Apple is unable to detect a hardware problem, then I would suggest purchasing Apple's 140W charger for the latest M1 Macs in case the 96W charger is just borderline for a fully loaded laptop (it is showing a 2 - 3 month backorder in the US). FYI, the charger is physically bigger.

Macbook Pro 16" 2019 battery gets lower and lower while plugged in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.