Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2020 MacBook Air Battery Issue

I purchased a new MacBook Air in March 2020. I recently started noticing that the battery would show less than 100% charge when I keep it plugged in all the time. Currently it is showing the MacBook Air using the Power Adapter as the source, but the battery is at 92% and it says the battery is not charging.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 1:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 2:24 PM

Called Apple Support. Apparently this a new feature on MacBooks to help prolong the battery life. If the battery is constantly charging even when the battery is at 100%, it can shorten the battery life. Apple Support said when this feature is active (i.e., not charging the battery), the laptop is still drawing power from the Power Adapter through the battery. Since it is not charging, it will show a decrease in the power level. Apple Support said it can get down to 85% before it starts recharging the battery.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2020 2:24 PM in response to jrisk

Called Apple Support. Apparently this a new feature on MacBooks to help prolong the battery life. If the battery is constantly charging even when the battery is at 100%, it can shorten the battery life. Apple Support said when this feature is active (i.e., not charging the battery), the laptop is still drawing power from the Power Adapter through the battery. Since it is not charging, it will show a decrease in the power level. Apple Support said it can get down to 85% before it starts recharging the battery.

Jun 15, 2020 2:04 PM in response to jrisk

The battery got down to 89% and then suddenly started charging again. Is this normal? I read somewhere in another post about the battery doing this because it needed to discharge a gas or something to keep from swelling. I am running macOS Catalina 10.15.5 and recently upgraded to that version. My MacBook Air is a Retina, 13".

2020 MacBook Air Battery Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.