Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is battery less than 100% when Mac has been plugged in for weeks?

I have a MacBook Pro 2021. It has been plugged in to the electricity for days if not weeks and so I have not been using the battery. So why is the battery only on 88% charge?

I haven't used the battery in ages. And surely when it is using the power adapter it will recharge the battery to 100%?

It also says 'Charging on hold. Rarely used on battery' – what does this mean? My old Mac would always charge the battery to 100%.

It now says 87% so it is going down, even though it is plugged into the electricity. I don't understand.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 1:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 1:40 PM

It means that the MacOS is managing the battery/power system so that the system woks at its best. Modern batteries should not be comtinuously charged at 100% to the MacOS prevents damage by keeping the battery charged at its optimum level. If you were wanting to use the computer remotely on battery then you can turn off thjis feature, charge to 100%, then use on battery.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2022 1:40 PM in response to Sparky Marky

It means that the MacOS is managing the battery/power system so that the system woks at its best. Modern batteries should not be comtinuously charged at 100% to the MacOS prevents damage by keeping the battery charged at its optimum level. If you were wanting to use the computer remotely on battery then you can turn off thjis feature, charge to 100%, then use on battery.

Mar 21, 2022 1:37 PM in response to Sparky Marky

That's expected. Macs have battery management software designed to extend the life of your battery. My Mac is pretty much always plugged in. Right now it is displaying 100 percent, because I typically take my Mac to work on Monday. If I leave it plugged in it normally displays the same message you're seeing and charges to 80-90 percent.

Why is battery less than 100% when Mac has been plugged in for weeks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.