Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync Messages between iPhone and Mac

Why do some of my messages sync between iPhoneX and MacPro '18 and others don't? Recently had crash and had to have battery replaced, so everything re-set. But now certain messages will not sync between devices. I have messages in iCloud so that's not it.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 6:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2022 8:18 AM

Thanks for replying, Laughia, and that additional info, it really helps! You might have to temporarily turn off these features and then restart your iPhone and Mac as this clears cached data and does other system optimizations when you turn your device off and on. Then turn Text Message Forward back on and test your issue again.

How to turn on or turn off your Mac

Restart your iPhone

Also, make sure the software is fully up to date as well.

How to update the software on your Mac

Use the App Store to update apps on Mac

Update the iOS software on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad

Have a great day and thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2022 8:18 AM in response to Laughia

Thanks for replying, Laughia, and that additional info, it really helps! You might have to temporarily turn off these features and then restart your iPhone and Mac as this clears cached data and does other system optimizations when you turn your device off and on. Then turn Text Message Forward back on and test your issue again.

How to turn on or turn off your Mac

Restart your iPhone

Also, make sure the software is fully up to date as well.

How to update the software on your Mac

Use the App Store to update apps on Mac

Update the iOS software on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad

Have a great day and thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

Feb 1, 2022 12:31 PM in response to Laughia

Hello Laughia,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, you are unable to see all your messages on your Mac that are on your iPhone. To help with this, please make sure you have Text Messages Forwarding enabled and here is more info on how to do this on your iPhone and Mac:

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac

Cheers!

Feb 1, 2022 5:32 PM in response to Laughia

I do have Text Message Forwarding on. It still won't forward certain messages. I am also having trouble syncing the devices. When I had the battery replaced, they named the Mac differently than what it had been named. When I finally figured that out, I changed the old name to the new. That's when the bulk of messages forwarded and were synced. But there are at least three different phone numbers/people whose messages will not sync. One is an iPhone, two are other brands--if that has anything to do with it. The Mac has the message histories on these, but only up to the date I had the battery replaced.

I also notice that even when I sync the devices by cable, not everything that was syncing before is now. And although it will sync photos, it gives me an error message that the Mac is not recognized.

Sync Messages between iPhone and Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.