Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does Apple Cash work?

I've read about Apple Cash, but I'm not 100% clear how it works. Here is what I want to do.

1. On my iPhone, I will activate Apple Cash, and I will link a debit card to my Apple Cash card.
  2. On my daughter's iPhone, I will activate Apple Cash, but I will not link a debit card to her Apple Cash card.
  3. From time to time, I will send money via the Apple Messages app from my Apple Cash card (which will debit my bank account) to my daughter's Apple Cash card.
  4. My daughter can then spend the funds from her Apple Cash card.

In this scenario, it is my daughter's Apple Cash card that holds the cash that I send to her. To repeat, her Apple Cash card will not be linked to any bank account.

Does Apple Cash work this way? Thx.

iPhone XS Max, iOS 15

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 8:12 AM

An Apple Cash card must be linked to a bank account to be able to receive/send money. See the links below:

Set up Apple Cash: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207886

Send and receive with Apple Cash or debit card: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207875

5 replies

Feb 1, 2022 8:20 AM in response to PommePourMoi

PommePourMoi wrote:

I've read about Apple Cash, but I'm not 100% clear how it works. Here is what I want to do.

1. On my iPhone, I will activate Apple Cash, and I will link a debit card to my Apple Cash card.
2. On my daughter's iPhone, I will activate Apple Cash, but I will not1. link a debit card to her Apple Cash card.
3. From time to time, I will send money via the Apple Messages app from my Apple Cash card (which will debit my bank account) to my daughter's Apple Cash card.
4. My daughter can then spend the funds from her Apple Cash card.

In this scenario, it is my daughter's Apple Cash card that holds the cash that I send to her. To repeat, her Apple Cash card will not be linked to any bank account.

Does Apple Cash work this way? Thx.
  1. No, you do not directly link a debit card to Apple Cash. You link your bank account to transfer money from Apple Cash.
    1. You can Add money to Apple Cash from your Debit card, but it will not be automatically taken from there. It must be manually added by you to Apple Cash. Link-> Add money to Apple Cash - Apple Support
  2. Yes, you do not link a debit card at all to Apple Cash.
  3. It does not automatically debit your Bank account. You must add funds to Apple Cash card before sending them via Messages to your daughter. You can choose your debit card instead of Apple Cash to send money from if you want to. Link-> Send and receive money with Apple Cash - Apple Support
  4. Yes. once she receives the funds, she can spend them, in any store or website that supports Apple Pay.

How does Apple Cash work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.