Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I upgrade my Apple Music free trial (from individual to family) without ending the free trial?

I recently started a 6 month Apple Music free trial. I signed up for the individual plan.

I would like to upgrade to the family plan WITHOUT LOSING THE BALANCE OF MY FREE TRIAL. Is that possible? When the free trial ends, I would then continue with the family plan. (I should have signed up for the free trial as a family plan trial in the first place but didn't realize it at the time.) If I cannot upgrade without losing the family plan, I will hold off on the upgrade at least until my free trial is over.

I've resorted to all caps above because I have seen several people ask this same question and receive non-responsive answers that simply explain how to make the upgrade. As others have observed, however, when one starts the upgrade process, the messages seem to indicate that the free trial will be "refunded" and a new plan will start (implying that the new plan will NOT include a free trial).

Very frustrating as it seems like Apple should want to make this point clear either way.

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 2:00 PM

Once you upgrade the free trial period is cancelled – there is nothing to refund.

1 reply

Can I upgrade my Apple Music free trial (from individual to family) without ending the free trial?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.