Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pro Video Formats will not stay "installed."

After upgrading to Monterey, I have needed to reinstall the Mac Pro Video Formats every day to successfully use my video editing applications -- Apple Motion, Final Cut Pro X, Logic Pro X, Screenflow. If I don't reinstall the Pro Video Formats, the video does not show up in the editor -- I get a black screen.

Once I reinstall -- everything works perfectly.

Any idea what might be going on here?

It's becoming tedious. I hope there's a simple fix!

Thanks,

Dana

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 9:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 12:35 PM

dprowe57 wrote:

Thanks for your help, Luis. Will look into doing that when I have a day free.

Re: the mega.mac.megaupdater.plist (Mega Limited - installed 2020-11-12) -- what's the best way to uninstall that for now?

[Loaded] mega.mac.megaupdater.plist (Mega Limited - installed 2020-11-12)

In Finder, press Command-Shift-G and paste

~/Library/LaunchAgents/mega.mac.megaupdater.plist

and drag the file to the trash, then restart or logout and login again.

There may still be remnants of that stuff lying around, but this is what makes the stuff every time you login.

lso, are you able to direct me to directions (perhaps a video or step-by-step) on how to do a clean install and migration of only the user accounts? You've been incredibly helpful -- Dana

Not a video, but a short step by step:

1) Make a full backup, preferably two: a Time Machine, and a full bootable clone, on a separate drive. You can use the free version of SuperDuper! to make this clone, or perhaps Carbon Copy Cloner.

NOTE: it is important to have more than one backup, since you're about to erase the main drive

2) Erase and install. I advise you to create an installer on a usb stick, to avoid having to install over the internet (slow).

Instructions here: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Supporthttps://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

NOTE: to erase, start from the usb installer disk, choose Disk Utility and erase the whole internal drive (not just the volumes inside); choose APFS with GUID Partition Map.

4) Quit Disk Utility and start the installation on the now empty drive

5) When asked if you want to transfer information, choose "From another mac, disk or Time Machine backup", and select the backup you made in step 1.

IMPORTANT: Migrate ONLY the user accounts (NOT applications, NOT settings, or other files)

4) Install any applications you really need, from the App Store or the respective developers' sites.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2022 12:35 PM in response to dprowe57

dprowe57 wrote:

Re: the mega.mac.megaupdater.plist (Mega Limited - installed 2020-11-12) -- what's the best way to uninstall that for now?

In Finder, press Command-Shift-G and paste

~/Library/LaunchAgents/mega.mac.megaupdater.plist

and drag the file to the trash, then restart or logout and login again.

There may still be remnants of that stuff lying around, but this is what makes the stuff every time you login.

lso, are you able to direct me to directions (perhaps a video or step-by-step) on how to do a clean install and migration of only the user accounts? You've been incredibly helpful -- Dana

Not a video, but a short step by step:

1) Make a full backup, preferably two: a Time Machine, and a full bootable clone, on a separate drive. You can use the free version of SuperDuper! to make this clone, or perhaps Carbon Copy Cloner.

NOTE: it is important to have more than one backup, since you're about to erase the main drive

2) Erase and install. I advise you to create an installer on a usb stick, to avoid having to install over the internet (slow).

Instructions here: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Supporthttps://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

NOTE: to erase, start from the usb installer disk, choose Disk Utility and erase the whole internal drive (not just the volumes inside); choose APFS with GUID Partition Map.

4) Quit Disk Utility and start the installation on the now empty drive

5) When asked if you want to transfer information, choose "From another mac, disk or Time Machine backup", and select the backup you made in step 1.

IMPORTANT: Migrate ONLY the user accounts (NOT applications, NOT settings, or other files)

4) Install any applications you really need, from the App Store or the respective developers' sites.

Feb 1, 2022 10:31 AM in response to dprowe57

You have a lot of cruft from years past, plus some things that I would not let near my mac, like this:

This is a great way to get your mac laden with adware...

You still have stuff this many years old, like these:

3rd Party Preference Panes:

A 6|2m (? - installed 2009-02-12)

DivX (? - installed 2010-03-10)

Flip4Mac WMV (? - installed 2009-05-21)

This suggests that you have been upgrading in place, and across different macs, for over a decade.

I think you would benefit greatly from doing a clean install, followed by a migration of ONLY the user accounts.

Feb 1, 2022 11:44 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Also, are you able to direct me to directions (perhaps a video or step-by-step) on how to do a clean install and migration of only the user accounts? You've been incredibly helpful -- Dana

Pro Video Formats will not stay "installed."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.