Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What to do about repeated kernel panics?

My 2017 MacBook Pro has been kernel panicking repeatedly and frequently since yesterday. I ran a diagnostic test which showed nothing. I located the kernel panic crash reports but don't know how to interpret them. How can I figure out what is causing this? And what is the usual course of action for this situation? Hardware replacement? Buying a new one altogether? Would the Genius Bar be helpful? Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 12:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 5:27 PM

Post several of the Kernel Panic logs here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. The Kernel Panic log file names begin with "kernel" and end in ".panic" and are located in "/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports". Make sure to use the Finder to locate the logs. Do not use the Console app to look for the logs since I've seen the Console not report the existence of some log files (why I don't know). You can use the Finder to open the Kernel Panic logs you find to read them in the Console app where you will be able to copy them and paste them here in the "Additional Text" field.

To look for possible software issues you can run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. Make sure to click the "Share Report" button in the EtreCheck app, then select "Copy Report". If you give EtreCheck "Full Disk Access", then the report will include more information that may contain clues.

Here is the "Additional Text" icon:

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2022 5:27 PM in response to jeanie278

Post several of the Kernel Panic logs here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. The Kernel Panic log file names begin with "kernel" and end in ".panic" and are located in "/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports". Make sure to use the Finder to locate the logs. Do not use the Console app to look for the logs since I've seen the Console not report the existence of some log files (why I don't know). You can use the Finder to open the Kernel Panic logs you find to read them in the Console app where you will be able to copy them and paste them here in the "Additional Text" field.

To look for possible software issues you can run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. Make sure to click the "Share Report" button in the EtreCheck app, then select "Copy Report". If you give EtreCheck "Full Disk Access", then the report will include more information that may contain clues.

Here is the "Additional Text" icon:

What to do about repeated kernel panics?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.