Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts problems

I could use some suggestions. I have had a Mac computer from my first Apple which was the the 5300CD and my first iPhone was the iPhone 3s. Way back then i somehow imported my list of contacts from my Casio PDA. After I imported the contacts, I just kept adding new contacts over the years. The outcome is a total disaster of duplicates, old contacts, and other issues.

What is the best way to start new and save the correct contacts without out just biting the bullet and deleting the whole thing and starting from scratch.

There are 3100 contacts and probably only about 500 that are really still valid and not duplicates.

iPhone XR

Posted on Feb 2, 2022 3:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2022 4:05 AM

There is no easy way to do it properly, and you need to be methodical. You will need to select the contacts you wish to keep and delete the others.

You could do it one of two ways - go through your list deleting those you don't want, or as you go down the list select those you want and preserve a copy in a folder on your Mac before deleting the entirety of your Contacts and importing back those you have selected to save.

What I would do, and assuming that your Mac and iPhone are using iCloud to sync, is to go through your entire list using your Mac, dragging to a folder on your desktop those you wish to keep (this creates a copy) . When you are satisfied that you have completed this delete the entire collection: Command and A to select all then right click and delete. I find the advantage in this is you have actively selected what you want to keep, rather than kept them by default in the process of rejecting those you don't want.

Then with a blank canvas import back to Contacts those you previously selected to keep. Just drag and drop all of them as a batch into the part of Contacts where your alphabetical list used to be.

But before you do anything export an archive of your contacts: Menu bar > File > Export > Contacts Archive and do a Time Machine backup.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2022 4:05 AM in response to Richard Declue

There is no easy way to do it properly, and you need to be methodical. You will need to select the contacts you wish to keep and delete the others.

You could do it one of two ways - go through your list deleting those you don't want, or as you go down the list select those you want and preserve a copy in a folder on your Mac before deleting the entirety of your Contacts and importing back those you have selected to save.

What I would do, and assuming that your Mac and iPhone are using iCloud to sync, is to go through your entire list using your Mac, dragging to a folder on your desktop those you wish to keep (this creates a copy) . When you are satisfied that you have completed this delete the entire collection: Command and A to select all then right click and delete. I find the advantage in this is you have actively selected what you want to keep, rather than kept them by default in the process of rejecting those you don't want.

Then with a blank canvas import back to Contacts those you previously selected to keep. Just drag and drop all of them as a batch into the part of Contacts where your alphabetical list used to be.

But before you do anything export an archive of your contacts: Menu bar > File > Export > Contacts Archive and do a Time Machine backup.

Contacts problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.