Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail Issues and Migration Assistant

I am having issues opening the Apple Mail application on my old Macbook Pro since I updated to Catalina last month. I am concerned if using Migration Assistant will cause the problem to occur in my new Macbook Pro M1 that comes in next week. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 2, 2022 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 7:15 AM

Very much agree with my Colleague on Cleaners.

Some useful methods try and keep the drive " clean " and done while under the Control of the User and not some hack third party software

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2022 7:15 AM in response to ltc_bob

Very much agree with my Colleague on Cleaners.

Some useful methods try and keep the drive " clean " and done while under the Control of the User and not some hack third party software

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Feb 3, 2022 9:48 AM in response to ltc_bob

CleanMyMac X.app

Sorry but this specific application is the Jackpot of Jackpot of very bad actors and seems to be the root cause of so Manny issues and possible the Apple Mail Issue too .

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

It needs to be removed as per developers instructions.

Even after that is done - a reinstallation via Recovery Mode may or may not be needed to replace and or correction elements of macOS this software CMM has caused. IMHO

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

This will include CleanMyMac 

Feb 2, 2022 9:56 AM in response to tbirdvet

I've got a MacBook Pro mid-2015 model. I upgraded my operating system last month from Mojave to Catalina. There were no major issues with the upgrade except for the Apple Mail application problem. Whenever I try to open the Apple Mail application it flashes up on the screen for a second or two and then crashes. I get the following crash report: Terminating app due to exception while holding database lock 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '*** -[_NSPlaceholderData initWithBase64EncodedString:options:]: nil string argument', userInfo: (null)

abort() called

I've tried the various troubleshooting steps I've found online such as:

Rebooting the computer

Shut down all my email accounts from System Preferences

Restarting in safe mode

Delete Preference files

Delete envelope files

Reset PRAM and NVRAM

None of this steps has resolved the problem.

I had been looking to buy a replacement computer so this issue accelerated the replacement. My concern is by using Migration Assistant would I transfer over the corrupt file that is causing the problem? I can transfer my files manually, it's time-consuming and a pain in the butt but I know that way I'll can control what is being transferred to the new computer.

Feb 3, 2022 4:26 AM in response to ltc_bob

If the new computer is going to be the Apple Silicon M1 Equipped Computer - would suggest Only Migrating the User Account and nothing more. IMHO

1 - Apple Silicon with either Big Sur macOS 11 or Monterey macOS 12 Only Support everything 64 bit and there is no workaround.

2 - Issues that may exist on the older computer will be migrated to the New Computer. This would badly pollute the new Original and Pristine installation of the new OS.

3 -  Applications, extensions and Software Drivers may or may not even work on the new computer especially if they are not vetted as Apple Silicon and Monterey Compatible

4 - IMHO - it would be best to only install new application etc Directly from the Developer or the Apple Apps Store.

5 - Due Diligence on New Applications and make sure they are Monterey / Big Sur compatible and factor in the ARMs CPU of the Apple Silicon Computer  

Feb 3, 2022 5:06 AM in response to ltc_bob

Most likely the problem is due to something else migrated from the earlier system.

I strongly agree with P. Phillips in that when setting up the new mac you should ONLY migrate the user accounts and nothing else. This will most likely prevent the sort of problem you are experiencing now.

To try and figure out what may be currently affecting Mail, please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Feb 3, 2022 9:51 AM in response to ltc_bob

Further as per Etrecheck Aura Pro X2 960.16 GB (Solid State - TRIM: Yes) which is an After Market SSD.

Not sure how one managed to install Monterey on an After Market Drive since this seems to be the normal when Non Original SSD are in play for Monterey >> see below.

There are reports appearing on the ASC Forums regarding failed installation of Monterey on older Qualifying Apple Computers. In most cases this is related to having a NON Apple Original internal drive ?  

The EFI Boot ROM included in Monterey is verifying for Original Apple Drive and if not found , may Balk or fail to upgrade to Monterey. 

Reports indicate the EFI BOOT ROM is Required to Flash the Computer and is a  requirement for a Successful Monterey Installation.

Feb 3, 2022 9:58 AM in response to ltc_bob

Totally agree with P. Phillips regarding cleanmymac - it is utter garbage, and has crippled many many macs. It needs to go, and probably a reinstall of the OS will be needed.

Also: you have many old stuff - including all those kernel extensions apparently related to hp printers... installing a printer should never require a kernel extension. I am thinking that those are from the El Capitan era or before...

Feb 4, 2022 7:00 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks for the input. I'll only transfer my User Account over to the new computer once it arrives.

Regarding the Aura chip, this was a refurbished unit I bought directly from Apple about 2018 so I don't know how/why it got installed. I transferred the data to this mid-2015 model from my old 2011 computer, so that might explain some of the really old files and extensions.

BTW, I only just installed Catalina not Monterey on this computer when the Apple Mail problem started.

I'll delete Cleanmymac and do a re-install of the Catalina OS as you've recommended. If that doesn't work, I can always re-install the clone I made before the upgrade to Catalina, never had any issues with Mojave.

Are there any third party programs that you would recommend for Optimization, Cleaning, etc.? Or just avoid them?

Again, thanks for the insights.

Apple Mail Issues and Migration Assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.